WLan visible but no IP address

I have a very strange problem with my WLAN-Router (Sinus 1054 DSL). So far I only used it with LAN, which is working just fine. I just occasionally turned on the WLan when I had visitors. Then the problem occured: The network was visible (and strong) but it was not possible to connect (it did not give the laptop an IP address). This happend with a number of notebooks under both linux and windows. All of those visitors were computer geeks and checked the configuration of the router, but everything was fine (different configurations were tried (with, without encryption; with, without MAC-Filter), but nothing worked.)

Now the strange thing happens: With one of these friends it suddenly worked the next morning: I did not change the configuration of the router nor did my friend change his settings. With another friend it worked after changing the channel.

This kind of gives me the idea that maybe the WLan has some kind of weird problem with another WLan, since that could explain the above phenomenon. Anyway I never really tried to solve the problem, since I did not have a laptop to use the WLAN for, until last week. Now the same problem happens again, but switching the channel does not work this time. Also the configuration of the notebook is fine, because I can log on to another (someones :-)) network, which is much weaker.

I have absolutely no idea what else I could try - also it does not sound like a hardware problem, because occasionally it does work. I am also fairly certain that the configuration of the router is fine, since I had independently different people (all of whom are computer experts) check it because of the problem and noone could find anything wrong.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Best, moepmoep

Reply to
moepmoep
Loading thread data ...

The usual problems:

1. Radio interference.
  2. MAC filtering in the router.
  3. WEP key mismatch. To troubleshoot, start by disabling *all* security.

On 28 Jul 2006 06:09:50 -0700, "moepmoep" wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas

Thanks, I did disable all security - that was the first thing I tried, but without success. It must be radio interference then, because it was the same thing again today. This morning I locked in and it did not work, this evening I turned my laptop on and got into my wlan without any problems. But I did neither change my notebook settings nor the router settings.

Is there anything I can do to prevent the problem from occurring again?

Best, moepmoep

John Navas wrote:

Reply to
moepmoep

Try to find and eliminate the source of interference. Possible sources are listed in the wikis below.

On 28 Jul 2006 15:02:36 -0700, "moepmoep" wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas

Just out of curiosity, does it work if you power the wap/router off and then back on again? I was having probs with the speed dropping and dropping due to interfernce from my neighbor, just a silly lamp timer on the power wall wart to turn it off and back on again twice a day works for now ($3.49).. At least twice a day I can restart the device and go back to full speed, other times I just do a click/repair (for those lurking, not worth fixing, I closed on a new place today and am moving this weekend.. No more neighbor with his interference)

Reply to
Peter Pan

No, I have tried that a couple of times, it did not work.

Is it possible to have that effect because of interference with another WLan device. Since this one time, changing the channel helped (if it was not a weird coincidence). Anyway, if it is anything like that the problem will be solved in a couple of weeks, since I will be moving. :-)

Reply to
moepmoep

Thanks, I did that, but there is nothing listed that could cause the problem and is in my flat. So I will just hope for the best, that it is stable now and that the problem will solve itself once I moved.

Best wishes.

Reply to
moepmoep

Sounds like a plan, hey I'm moving too.. matter of fact the movers are at the door.. See ya!

Reply to
Peter Pan

"moepmoep" hath wroth:

The obvious cause is interference from another wireless LAN or other source for RFI. See list at:

formatting link
However, I don't think it's interference. I'm not familiar with a Sinus 1054 DSL.
formatting link
fairly generic. Linux based firmware.

You've already tried various other laptops and wireless clients. However, you haven't tried replacing the wireless. If it really is interference, a replacement unit will have the same problem. If you can borrow a different router to try in place of the Sinus 1054 DSL, then interference as a possible cause might be eliminated.

Another way to eliminate interference as a possible cause is to isolate the router. Take the router and a laptop to some RF secluded location. Underground basements are good. No change of any interference there. Try connecting. If it works, it's interference. If you have the same problem, it's a broken router.

My sense of smell points to a bad radio in the wireless router. In this case, the transmitter is working because users can "see" the router, but the receiver might be sick. Dunno.

Anyway, you said that you're moving so this is not really worth spending much time trying to fix (unless you want to arrive at your new location with the same problem).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks for the long reply.

But that also seems weird, because right now I am connected to the router. As I said Thursday night and Friday morning it did not work, but Friday night it worked and also today.

I kind of hope it will keep working until then. If the problem remains, then I will have to check thouroughly.

Best, moepmoep

Reply to
moepmoep

On 29 Jul 2006 00:38:55 -0700, "moepmoep" wrote in :

How about a neighbor?

Reply to
John Navas

Obviously that is possible but could be very difficult to find out (considering I live in a big city and do not know all of my neighbors). Also it is not really worth the trouble, since I will be moving soon and right know the WLan is working perfectly fine (even though I did not change a thing).

Reply to
moepmoep

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.