WLAN security question

Hi

Our network is mixed Windows 2000/2003 Servers (both DC's are Windows

2000 though), clients are Windows XP SP2, although we do have occasional visitors who use laptops with Windows 2000.

We are implementing a wireless network...there is a section of the office without floor boxes for ports, so instead of running cables through to them, we'd like to use wireless.

We were thinking of using a Windows 2000 RADIUS server with Certificate service (enterprise CA) and IAS installed, which we built yesterday. However, any certificate server should not affect the normal wired users at all.

We were looking at the help section for configuring automatic certificate allocation from an enterprise CA, however it states to edit the Default Domain Policy as such;

Computer Configuration>Windows Settings>Security Settings>Public Key Polices>Automatic Certificate request settings.

..and create a new Automatic Certificate Request.

My question is, will this affect all users and computers? Or is this change only applicable for computers that request a certificate to go to the Cert server. My understanding is that the certificate would be used between the wireless client and RADIUS server.

Secondly, are there any useful links on how to configure the CA? I've looked but can't find anything straightforward!

Thirdly, is there anyway to use the RADIUS server to authenticate the user without involving the certificate server? Or is this unsecure?

Reply to
dilan.weerasinghe
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.