WLAN disconnects every X minutes/hours

Hello!

I have a brand new Netgear WGR614 v7 but ever since it it running I experience WLAN disconnects from my laptop. I use WPA-PSK [TKIP] for securing my WLAN. I also tried this system control setting (I deactivated something I can't remember where I found it, but seems to be a frequent cause for disconnects in Windows XP)...

The disconnects occurr irregularly, sometimes running fine for hours, sometimes there a 2 or disconnects within one hour, usually no more than 1-4 disconnects a day. But when occurring at the wrong time, it's really annyoning...

Does anyone have a clue what might be wrong?

Karsten

Reply to
Karsten Wutzke
Loading thread data ...

Karsten Wutzke hath wroth:

Just a guess. Interference from other systems, microwave ovens, municipal wireless networks, and cordless phones. See:

for a list of possible sources. If it's so severe that it causes a disconnect, it may be difficult to cure. Do a site survey with Kismet or Netstumbler and see if there are any nearby strong signals. Note the channels and set your WGR614v7 to a hopefully un-used channel (1,

6, or 11).

The WGR614 v7 can save your settings to a file. If you're going to experiment with settings, I suggest you reset the router to defaults, apply the basic settings (password, SSID, WPA, WAN access, etc) and save the settings. The rule is "Don't do anything you can't undo".

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 07:58:59 -0800 (PST), Karsten Wutzke wrote in :

The likely problem is radio interference. See that topic in the wiki below. Try different channels (1, 6, 11).

Reply to
John Navas

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 09:23:46 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

Sure, but that won't find non-Wi-Fi interference, which may well be the cause of the problem.

Reply to
John Navas

WPA-PSK authentication is harder to crack than WEPs, but it comes with a drawbacks in connectivity. WPA encryption algorithms make it susceptible to deauth attacks to the points that a deauth flood will disrupt the network and render it completely unusable. If the deauth attack is running a in a loop, it serves as a mass denial-of-service and none of the clients will be able to connect to your router.

Reply to
bi241

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 22:19:30 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@scn.org wrote in :

That's nothing against WPA-PSK, since it's trivial to disrupt a Wi-Fi network by a number of different means, including simple jamming.

Reply to
John Navas

That's everything against WPA-PSK!! The thing is, chump, one can build sound arguments against every man-made thing that has ever created. All coins have two sides. Do you know that there are trade-offs in engineering designs? Reliability vs. performance, reliability vs. ease of use, performance vs. ease of use, or reliability and performance vs cost... you name it!!

Don't be ignorant. Educate yourself and know where you stand on the issue.

Reply to
bi241

RUT RO...I better start fixing some popcorn.

Reply to
DTC

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 23:48:10 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@scn.org wrote in :

Been there; done that. But thanks for your concern.

Learn some manners.

Reply to
John Navas

Exactly !

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.