WLAN? again

I have not been able to respond to your posts about my Oct 18 question. I am trying to find the/a program to download that will let me roam around and watch signal strength of the signal in question. Any ideas? Maybe just watch the connection strength icon? I would like a meter. My laptop is a basic, relatively cheap, Gateway 4025, XP home, using the supplied wireless device. Again I am 20 miles from a town, Tuscaloosa, AL, and my closest neighbor is about 1/4 mile away and I think he is on cable (which I can't get). I am, however, only about 2 miles from a couple of wireless phone towers that are on I-20. Could the signal be from them? Again, the computer says the signal strength is strong. Seems like a puny home setup 1/4 mile away would not have a strong signal here. I tried changing the connection choice in the computer and it did nothing. May have to talk to him. I have a pretty good connection with my cell phone as I am on a hill and can see the towers, one is cingular which is my carrier. May have to check out their wireless broadband program. Anyway, I am still baffeled. Further ideas that are not too complicated? I am so tired of dialup!! Thanks

Reply to
hawkeye
Loading thread data ...

"hawkeye" hath wroth:

I'll assume you want to monitor wi-fi signal strength and not cellular signal strength. The basic assumption is that a potential wireless service provider will use 802.11b/g and broadcast their SSID. This is a bad assumption. Many user other schemes such as WiMax or Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum (Alvarion). They may also be on 5.7GHz or

900MHz (Waverider) instead of the usual 2.4GHz. The cell site may also provide broadband (1xRTT/EVDO/GPRS/HSDPA/etc) via one the cellular carriers. Searching all these modes and frequencies for providers would probably be done only with a very expensive spectrum analyzer and modulation analyzer.

If all you want is Wi-Fi under Windoze, try Netstumbler or Wi-Fi Hopper.

formatting link
formatting link
Linux does a better job as it supports the monitor mode. I suggest a LiveCD suitable for booting your laptop.
formatting link
formatting link
sure your wireless card is supported:
formatting link
Methinks you could do better searching for a suitable wireless ISP using one of the online directories.
formatting link
looks probable.
formatting link
like a few to choose from. I would go with WiMax if possible.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On 28 Oct 2006 06:21:59 -0700, "hawkeye" wrote in :

Now there's a thought. :)

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.