WISP / File sharing problems?

Hello. I was wondering why a couple users running P2P programs can effectively disable my provider's wireless network? The entire network will lag while these people are using their software, but then when the ports are blocked, it gets fast again.

I know they aren't downloading at more than 384 or 768k or uploading at more than 128k (their normal limits). So does anyone have any reasons or am I just set up with a poor WISP?

BTW, this is also a rural area, so I can't imagine they have many customers on the tower?

Thanks

Reply to
M. Ray
Loading thread data ...

What's the connection to the internet? Satellite, DSL, T-1 ?

Reply to
Beretta
2.4Ghz, 802.11b wireless connection. I have gotten my information from their system admins about the problem, just trying to understand better what is going on.

Thanks

Reply to
M Ray

No No. I mean what is the backbone connection? At some point thier wireless device has to plug into a hardline. Be it a T-1, T-3, etc type connection.

The reason I asked, was if it was say, a satellite connection (which for our purposes will fill the role of hardline), there are limits to how many tcp/ip connections can be active at any given time, regardless of how much bandwidth is being used. I discovered this the other day on my system. I share a satellite connection with 3 other persons, and one was using a p2p app. The bandwidth he was using was insignificant, but his program was using 44 tcp/ip connections, out of our max shared total of 45 allowed. hence, everything slowed to a crawl.

Reply to
Beretta

I had this to happen on my network. It was just one guy but he had several (I still don't know exactly how many) computers constantly uploading and downloading from Kazaa. His client radio pretty much "took over" the access point, slowing it to a crawl or a stop for everybody else. And this is on a full T1 from a tier one provider. His signal strength and signal quality wasn't anything special, it just seemed that once his stream of data got going through the AP, the AP was ignoring all other clients. I got it stopped, but yes, one client can jam up a wireless network. The WISP needs to either block P2P data (which can be difficult to do since many programs just keep trying different ports until it finds one not blocked) or do some heavy bandwidth throttling on that client, or use a bigger hammer on their head.

Reply to
Ro?ge?r

That makes sense. I'm pretty sure it's a T-3.

Reply to
M. Ray

Unless thier Wireless Access Points are connected to the same building the ISP is in, I'd find it pretty hard to belive it would be a $10,000/month T-3..

Reply to
Beretta

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.