Wirless XP Pro "My network Places"

Are the network settings (firewall, NetBIOS over TCP/IP, etc.) the same for the wired and wireless connections?

Can you connect to the other computers using an address like \\\\192.168.1.102 (substitute the target computer's IP address) when you do not see them?

-Yves

Reply to
Yves Konigshofer
Loading thread data ...

No you should see them also with the xp pro running

Howard Huntley wrote:

Reply to
gekco

I have set up a wireless network, I just installed and configured XP Pro on my laptop. Using the wireless connection, in My Network Places I can not see the workgroup's computers(3). When I connect to the network using a cable I can see all the workgroup members in My Network Places. When I use my win98 laptop with a wireless connection I can see all the workgroup connections. Is this normal or is there an incorrect setting ??

Reply to
Howard Huntley

Reply to
Howard Huntley

I can ping the other computers in the work group. I tried changing the setting to the NetBios over TCP/IP and still no computers in My Network Places.

When I go to my deskt>Are the network settings (firewall, NetBIOS over TCP/IP, etc.) the same for

Reply to
Howard Huntley

Hi Howard

Try this work for me with the same problem with XP Home unable to view workgroup computers with wireless even though I could see network shares In net work Connection go to network Troubleshooter then Diagnose network configuration and run automated networking test then scan your system when I did this it came up with answer that two of my computers had the same name even though they did not but mysteriously I was then able to see the computers in view workgroup computers go figure

Steve

Reply to
Lucky One

You must match the protocols between the two machines when using wireless with WEP enabled most of the time. I don't know about WAP. If you have either one enabled, then disable it and the machines may be able to share resources.

To set the services and protocol with wireless encryption enabled, you set the NIC's so that they match and remove everything else off the NIC's

1) Client for MS networks. 2) File and Print Sharing for MS networks 3) Internet protocol TCP/IP.

Netbeui that on the Win 9'x machine is not a route-able protocol with wireless encryption enabled.

HTH

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Did you use the wireless network setup wizard to connect your computers to the Network? Run it on all systems and also pick which drives or folders to share. To make it a bit easier also have all the computers in the same workgroup.

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

I can ping the other computers in the work group. I tried changing the setting to the NetBios over TCP/IP and still no computers in My Network Places. I am running a pier to pier network. All works fine using a cable connection, I can see servers and desktops in "My NetWork Places".

When I go to my deskt>Are the network settings (firewall, NetBIOS over TCP/IP, etc.) the same for

Reply to
Howard Huntley

Go to your network connections. Right click and go to properties. Make sure your Netbios protocol is installed.

---------------------------------------------- Posted with NewsLeecher v2.0 RC2 * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy *

formatting link

Reply to
John W.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.