Wirless router stops functioning properly after period of time streaming

I have an XPProSP2 pc connected to the internet via a wireless Belkin F5D7230v4_UK_6.00.21 router. This single pc is connected via a wire because I have a shoutcast server on this computer. The router is connected to the internet through a Speedtouch DSL modem.

In the firewall (virtual servers) of the router I have opened all the required ports for Shoutcast properly. I boot up the server (GUI version) and connect with winamp and start streaming. At first everything works fine. I get added to YP and all that jazz. Then SUDDENLY for some reason everyone is disconnected, my website script can no longer grab information from the server yet the GUI just keeps playing. I don't get touched by YP anylonger though. When I disconnect and reconnect I get the usual NAK firewall error "Can't see your computer from the outside world" and everything. Rebooting won't work either. I have to wait for like an hour before I can continue streaming again. Meanwhile the normal internet works nevertheless, and rebooting the router doesn't seem to make a difference either. If I turn off the firewall nothing happens either.

The Windows Firewall is turned off and the firewall in the modem inherits all port forwarding.

What the heck is going on?

Reply to
korijn
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1166478854.338671.305050 @t46g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

What happens when you take the router out of the loop and connect directly to the DSL modem ?

Reply to
DanS

I have no idea, but I'll try that later today. I do know that we used to have a different router model that had the same kind of problem, but when we switched it with this one it seemed to have dissappeared. You know what is the weirdest? When I upload a lot of files via FTP it will give a timeout error eventually. If I immediately upload more it'll give me the error again. The longer I wait, the more I can upload before I get another timeout error: basically that means the router has to 'build up' for something. That can't be right.

I'll try connecting to the DSL modem directly later today. It's a Speedtouch 510i by the way.

Reply to
korijn

On 18 Dec 2006 13:54:14 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Your router is probably "falling over" due to excessive traffic and/or connections. Cheap low-end routers often have severe limits on how much activity they can handle. Try a better router (e.g., Buffalo).

Reply to
John Navas

That's what I expected to hear. I tried without the router and it worked fine.

What kind of router do you think would be best suitable for the following setup?

1 wired pc 2 wireless pcs 1 wireless Wii
Reply to
korijn

bump?

Reply to
korijn

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.