Wirless Card or USB Adapter

Just got a new machine with windows XP media center edition on it and I have been informed by belkin that my usb wireless adapter (model number F5D7050 ) will not work with media center edition. Can anyone suggest one that will searched the net but have come up blank

TIA

Reply to
sinner
Loading thread data ...

Media Center Edition comes in two flavors. One is XP Home with a bunch of marginal media applications that are best replaced with shareware versions. The other is the older version which is the same crud on top of XP Pro instead of Home. There's no reason your F5D7050 should not work with either.

Let me guess. The salesman that just sold your the new machine is also trying to sell you a new wireless device?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Actually no the salesman did nothing off the sort (which makes a nice change) I already had a wireless network,. after many hours of trying to get it working I gave up and spoke to Belkin directly who advised they don't make drivers to suit and the product will not work with XP media center. I did download most of the drivers on the website and chanced my arm but no luck. I don't mind buying a new card or USB adapter I just want something that will work and I figured someone on here maybe able to advise

TIA

Reply to
sinner

"sinner" hath wroth:

Amazing. Guess #2. Belkin support couldn't figure out what was wrong so they just blew you away with a "not supported" line of baloney. I found nothing on their support web pile that suggests anything specific to Media Edition.

I call to your attention any driver download site for literally any wireless USB card. None that I have seen have a special driver for Home, Pro, or Media Edition. They all list their drivers as for XP which includes all the various XP mutations. While I have not had to deal with your specific configuration, I'm fairly certain that's nothing unique about Media Edition that would cause your install to fail.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

are you trying to use the utility for the adapter or the windows wireless zero function? I had a linksys usb adapter that would not work with the linksys software but worked fine with the windows service.

Reply to
DavidT

I was letting the belkin software control things using the windows service never occured to me (doh)

I'll try that and reply back to the group

Reply to
sinner

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.