wiress router AND usb modem?

Hi

hopefully a simple question to answer for someone....and most likely a stupid question too, but here goes: if i have a PC desktop and a laptop, and i plan to buy a wireless router so i can use the laptop around the house, does the desktop PC need to then be connected to the wireless router for access to my broadband internet connection?

OR, can i carry on using the usb adsl modem connected to the desktop?

I'm guessing that its the former, and I need to somehow hard wire the pc desktop to the wireless router via the lan connections on the router. this just means trailing network cable up the stairs.

I know i can get hold of a wireless card for the pc desktop, i just wanted to see if i could get away with no spending the money (little though it is)

thanks in advance, lee

Reply to
rothko
Loading thread data ...

What you need to do is get a modem that uses the RJ45 connection type, connect it to the WAN port on the router, connect the computer's NIC to to a LAN port on the router, and get a wireless card for the laptop. Let the router be the gateway for the WAN/Internet and LAN and protect the network.

Get router that has logging so you can watch traffic to/from the router and use something like Wallwatcher or KIWI Syslog Daemon. So you don't fly blind.

formatting link
formatting link
Someone can join your network on the wireless side, use it to access the Internet, and hack your machines wired or wireless.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

hi, thanks for the reply. the router is going to be downstairs (for better coverage) and the pc is upstairs, so running a cable from the router to the pc would be a pain.

i have a phone extension point upstairs that i connect my adsl usb modem to and i wanted to know if i could keep on using that setup along with a router plugged in downstairs.

or can you NOT have a router connected to the broadband line as well as an adsl modem connected to another extension point?

Reply to
rothko

Then you should make the connection wireless. But you need a wire connection to the router with a computer to configure it. Maybe, that can be your laptop, which you should be able to switch between a wire and wireless connection type.

Someone else is going to have to answer that as I have only used cable BB when using a router.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 14:08:38 GMT, Duane Arnold

Reply to
Steve Pearce

thanks for confirming this!

Reply to
rothko

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.