Wireless WinXP Laptop Won't Connect to Internet

Perhaps someone can help? My laptop won't connect to the Internet through my home wireless network, even though other PCs do.

Here's the setup: One computer, running WinXP Home, connects directly to the Internet through a USB modem with Internet Connection Sharing enabled. It also connects (using a powerline network) to a Dlink Access Point. The computer is set to be the DHCP server -- I think that *has* to be the case under Windows XP in this configuration, though I may be wrong.

Other desktops have Dlink wireless cards, also run WinXP home. They get IP addresses from the DHCP Server/ISC computer and access the Internet without a problem.

The laptop runs WinXP Pro and has a Netgear PCMCIA card. It doesn't receive an IP address and reports that connection to the wireless network is "limited" -- this even though the laptop and access point are within several feet of one another. If I manually set the IP address, it reports "excellent" connection to the network. But it doesn't find any web pages, and can't even open the access point's maintenance screen. This problem occurs even when I turn off Windows Firewall on both the laptop and the ISC computer.

Can anyone explain what's going on, please? I've spent hours fiddling and getting nowhere.

Reply to
lycralout
Loading thread data ...

Google a copy of winsockxpfix.exe to repair the TCP/IP stack. Check TCP/IP properties, advanced button, Options tab, TCP/IP Filtering properties. Verify that Filtering, if Enabled, is set to Permit All for all ports/protocols, Apply, then turn off filtering. Set the wireless to Infrastructure only, uncheck the bit about automatically connecting to unpreferred networks.

Is this a *broadband* USB modem? If it is, then you will find superior performance with a router or an ethernet NIC in the host computer.

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

Hi May be this can Help. In General you can debug the Network Settings of a computer by following these steps. Step One. Check the Network parameters in the Computer's Device Manager. Make sure that the drivers are installed correctly; there is No IRQ conflict, and No Ghost installation.

formatting link
Two Verify Basic network setting in the OS:
formatting link
the above two Steps indicates that every thing looks good but functionally it does not work. Step Three. Check (and repair if necessary) the Socket Layers, Winsock, and or refresh the TCP/IP Stack.
formatting link
need to Reinstall; Log to this page it have a lot of links to instructions for Windows Network Installation -
formatting link
(MVP-Networking).

Reply to
Jack (MVP-Networking).

Folks, thanks for the suggestions. Will take a look when I get home tonight.

Reply to
lycralout

may be u didn't set your dns? o

Reply to
zidanz_cn

That was it! I was hoping it would use the ISP's DNS automatically, but looks as though I had to give it the IP address. This means it now works with an assigned IP. The "get address from DHCP server" route isn't wokring, but at least I can now use the damned thing.

Reply to
lycralout

The two parts go hand in hand. If you "get address from DHCP server" it will set up DNS as well. Otherwise, you need to set both the IP _and_ the DNS addresses.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

Yeah, XP will allow you to set static DNS with dynamic IP, but not the other way around. Dunno what the appropriate RFC allows.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Hi,

A quick test for your DNS resolution.

Go to Start------Run ----type in CMD and hit OK

Type in nslookup

then type in

formatting link

This should return an IP address for yahoo.com

If you get a time out, then you know DNS is not working...if you get an IP address for Yahoo.com then DNS is OK.

If your DNS is not working, you need to ensure that you are using the DNS servers from your ISP.....if you have a Broadband Router that is assigning you IP Addreess, then the DNS server is the IP address of the router.........if you have a broadband connection with a Static Address, then the ISP needs to provide you with the DNS servers.

Hope this helped.

William P.N. Smith wrote:

Reply to
BklynArtie

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.