Wireless using XP Home

I assume that this actually works, even though I haven't been able to get it to work for me. I've used 5 different laptops (2 Toshiba, 2 Dell,

1 Averatec), with a mix of built-in wireless capability and wireless PCMCIA cards. Three of the machines work fine, two do not. The only consistent factor is that the two machines running XP Home do not work, whereas the three running XP Pro do.

Particularly frustrating is the XP Home machine that has excellent signal strength, has a valid IP address from DHCP, but still cannot access the Internet or LAN resources. Plug in an Ethernet cable and all is fine.

I've tried turning off the firewall and anti-virus software but I got the same result - good connection, valid IP, but no access. I'm using

128-bit WEP.

Any ideas? TIA

==steven

Reply to
Steven Liburd
Loading thread data ...

What's the full list of IP(s) the machine is using with the bad connection as opposed to a machine with a good connection?

You can do ipconfig /all >file.txt at the Command Prompt I think and post the text in your reply.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Works for me - Toshiba laptop, Edimax 54G wireless on PC-Card.

You have MAC address blocking enabled on your router, and you forgot to add your wireless cards into the table.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 21:58:02 +0100, Mark McIntyre wrote in :

Not with a valid DHCP address.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.