Wireless TV

I don.t know if this topic has been addressed previously, when I subscribed to the newsgroup there were over 8000 postings - I just couldn't read them all 8-).

I am moving to a new (for me) house. I don't want to build my home around existing cable wires, so I thought, since cable is now primarily digital, why couldn't I use some sort of wireless routing device to go from the cable source coming into the house to my TV's. I would want the ability to be able to watch different shows on each of the TV's, so some of the existing technology that allows multiple TV's on one STB is not what I want. Many of these solutions seem to be ways to get around paying the cable company. I don't have a problem with that, although paying for junk content is another story!!!

Any thoughts???

Paul

Reply to
Paul Fillinich
Loading thread data ...

Depends if you want to send one channel at a time, or a whole bunch, so you can surf channels at each TV.. looked into that myself, The bandwidth isn't enuf on wireless to send lots of digital channels to all TV's, you can use something to send maybe 4-5 channels over wireless (and only 1-2 in HD), and control which ones are sent. Looked into it myself since I have wireless, but my sister likes to surf, and her room is on the other side of a cement load bearing wall with no wire/cable.. Easiest solution was Just to run a cable in the attic with drops in the closets for each room. Now we can do both cable TV and have DVD players and internet over the same cable.

Reply to
Peter Pan

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 08:45:10 -0400, "Paul Fillinich" wrote in :

Search newsgroups with Google Groups.

Reply to
John Navas

forget it.

Reply to
F8BOE

Google groups is useful for searching old posts.

google Wireless video Sender. And expect it to interfere with your

802.11 WLAN, if you have one

Not likely, since the STB normally contains a single tuner. If and only if your cable provider gives you an STB with multiple tuners, or you can have more than one STB, could you do this with multiple video senders.

Far far simpler to drop cables into each room before you move in...

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

"Paul Fillinich" hath wroth:

I'll add that to my list of excuses as to why one shouldn't be bothered to use a search engine. Try:

Insert the acronym "wireless TV" (with the quotes) into the search box. That yields 27 articles, many of which are related to your question.

Welcome to the ranks of those supporting a mortgage and property taxes.

The answer is that it's a matter of speed. Each type of media has its limitations in terms of how many bits per second it can handle. For example:

POTS telco cable 2 Mbits/sec RG-6/u coax cable 2000 Mbits/sec (satellite grade) CAT5e per pair 150 Mbits/sec CAT6 per pair 250 Mbits/sec fiber optic Varies with modulation, mode, mux, etc

802.11g 25 Mbits/sec (for 54Mbit/sec connection) Wireless USB 480 Mbits/sec at 3 meters Wirelsss USB 110 Mbits/sec at 10 meters

As you can see the term "cable" has many meanings and performance specs. If you wired your new deduction with POTS telco cable, you might be able to send voice. If you wired it with fiber optic cable, you would probably do video and most everything else. Wireless is more problematic as 25Mbits/sec is barely enough to do uncompressed NTSC video. If you want HDTV, you'll need to wait for Wireless USB.

Not yet and probably never. The problem is that each TV will want to use *ALL* the available bandwidth. For example, an HDTV 1080i (not p) will fit in 37MHz of bandwidth. 802.11g isn't going to do that, but Wireless USB will. However, if you want two simultaneous channels, you'll need twice the bandwidth. Wireless USB can still do it, but a

3rd channel will probably kill it. Note that this is at 10 meters maximum range, so you're not going to be able to use this to distribute video all over your new mansion.

None of these solutions have anything to do with the cable company. Methinks you might want to clarify your question by explaining exactly what you want to accomplish. If you want different channels in each room, the easiest and cheapest way is to order multiple cable settop boxes for each TV. I dunno about cable, but extra receivers for my DirecTV satellite system were all of

Don't worry. My junk answers and junk content are free.

Nope.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.