Wireless TO Wired Question

Hi, I tried searching but found nothing about this specific topic. I'd greatly appreciate any advice, THANKS!

Ideally, I'd like to take a wireless internet source and turn it into a wired internet source. Is there any way to do this with a wireless router or do I need a wireless bridge?

COULD I use my desktop as both a receiver and transmitter (with a wireless adapter for receiving and a wired adapter for transmitting)?

Thanks!

Reply to
MikeYankees
Loading thread data ...

That's what a NAT router is for is to provide the connection or plumbing. A typical wireless ascess point NAT router can support wire and wireless computers that use it.

formatting link

Yes, you could use the desktop machine wireless NIC (network interface card) and also it would have a wire NIC in it too so that it could be used as part of a wire LAN (local are network) or home network.

I'll assume that's what you're talking about.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

What do you mean by a "wireless internet source" ?

Reply to
CWatters

It sounds like he wants to have his computer act as a wireless access point for other users via its built in wireless card - then link them through to the Internet via his cable modem or ADSL modem. You can do this, but what's the point in taing the risk allowing others to use your system? Don't forget it will be your details traced by police if any of the users do something naughty. Disclaimers don't stand up when someone gets the door kicked in at 6am.

>
Reply to
Ian C

Good point.. If it is a true wireless internet source (like a data card for use with cellphone networks), they actually make wap/routers that use data cards and then allow both wired and wireless connections to the data card via the wap/router... which one depends on if you are trying to do that, and what carrier you have (different links for different providers/hardware)

Reply to
Peter Pan

My internet source is my school's wireless in dorm source. If I can somehow feed my personal router with this source, I would have better coverage in my room, in addition to a wired source for my TiVo. Any thoughts? (Thanks so far)

Reply to
MikeYankees

: > >> Ideally, I'd like to take a wireless internet source and turn it : > >> into a wired internet source. Is there any way to do this with a : > >> wireless router or do I need a wireless bridge? : > >

: > > What do you mean by a "wireless internet source" ? : >

: > Good point.. If it is a true wireless internet source (like a data card for : > use with cellphone networks), they actually make wap/routers that use data : > cards and then allow both wired and wireless connections to the data card : > via the wap/router... which one depends on if you are trying to do that, and : > what carrier you have (different links for different providers/hardware) : : My internet source is my school's wireless in dorm source. If I can : somehow feed my personal router with this source, I would have better : coverage in my room, in addition to a wired source for my TiVo. Any : thoughts? (Thanks so far)

If the wireless source is one of a rather rare class of routers capable of participating in a mesh network, you could use another such router to convert the wireless signal back to wired. But unless your dorm is at MIT (or possibly one of a handful of other schools), your dorm source probably doesn't have that capability.

Whether you could set up a wireless bridge probably depends on the capability of the school's router and on how it's configured. Cheap wireless routers typically have to be dedicated to either bridging or serving users, but better ones may not have that restriction. If the school's router can't bridge and serve users at the same time, simple bridging probably isn't an option.

What you might be able to do is use your computer as a router (fairly straightforward with Windows XP Pro and I think also with most flavors of Unix). On the WAN side, let your computer's wireless interface talk to (and obtain its IP address from) the school's router. On the LAN side, connect a cheap minihub to the computer's RJ-45 interface, and plug your TIVO into that. Remember that you have to give the TIVO a way to obtain an IP address. So your computer has to be configured to either pass DHCP protocol through or assign its own IP addresses using NAT. All this isn't impossible to set up, but it isn't a job for a newbie either.

Bob

Reply to
Robert Coe

"MikeYankees" hath wroth:

Most skools have instructions for connecting wired and wireless routers to their network. For example, here's one for the local multiversity:

formatting link
primary issue is authentication. If the university uses the client MAC address for authentication, hiding behind a router will also hide the MAC address. I suggest you check with the skools computer center for specific instructions.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On 10 Jun 2006 22:51:27 -0700, "MikeYankees" wrote in :

You need a wireless client bridge. See the FAQs below.

Yes. Google ICS (Internet Connection Sharing).

Reply to
John Navas

Thanks guys thats great info!

John Navas wrote:

Reply to
MikeYankees

Sounds like you want a bridge. That just extends the wireless lan over your wire.

You main problem is likely to be the schools security policy.

Reply to
CWatters

If your Tivo has a USB connection on the back (most do, only heard of one or two that had anything but) Look into a wireless/usb dongle.. That's what I have on my Tivo This one a Linksys Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter WUSB54GC

formatting link

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.