Wireless to Linksys PAP2 Vonage

I'm quietly posting wrong answers to newsgroups and mailing lists when my Skype phone rings. It's a friend doing the vacation thing in Puerto Vallarta. She has a Vonage (Linksys PAP2) VoIP router that she wants to use to make calls. She found an open wireless connection with her laptop, and was wondering why plugging the PAP2 router into the laptop ethernet port doesn't magically give her a connection. Never mind that she doesn't have a crossover cable.

Do I walk her through setting up her laptop with Windoze Connection Sharing? Is there a better program for the purpose? Or, do I have her buy a travel router (Linksys WTR54GS) or possibly a wireless ethernet client bridge box? The basic requirement is that it is available in Puerto Vallarta and that I can walk a beginner through the setup. Or should I just take the easy way out and have her buy a Skype In and Skype Out subscription?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

Just get her to download X-lite or other soft VoIP client, enter her providers details, job done. She may find headset with mike useful to cut echo. Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

"Martin²" hath wroth:

Nice. Yet another VoIP client to play with.

Ummm.... I don't think I'm going to try to get a clueless user to install yet another VoIP client that I've never seen while she's on vacation 1000 miles away. The chances of trashing her laptop are too great. She already has Skype and Gizmo Project (for G.729 telephony). She doesn't need another client.

She has a Motorola something BlueGoof dongle and headset. Works nice with only a slight amount of Wi-Fi interference. The big complaint this morning is that the battery doesn't seem to last long enough for VoIP. So, I eventually ask how long she talks on the headset. "Oh, about 4-6 hours while walking around the swimming pool" was the answer. Sigh. It's a tough life, but somebody has to do it.

Thanks much...

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

That why we install Citrix remote access on some clients that travel alot. But if you don't want to spend the $300 or $400 a month for a pair of Citrix tech support seats, try out the PcHelpWare.

formatting link

Reply to
DTC

DTC hath wroth:

I run RealVNC (commercial version) on some of my mission critical clients and the free version on most everything else. The problem with using the server on a laptop is that it's almost always on the wrong side of a firewall. For example, the typical hotel, coffee shop, or pirated wireless connection, is not going to allow me to redirect ports 5800/5900. No port forwarding usually means no remote access.

RealVNC also runs a repeater service to avoid router port forwarding, similar to PCHelpware, but I've never bothered to try it. I'll give it a try, but not this time. I don't want to be learning a new program on short notice.

Thanks much.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.