Wireless suggestions @ my apt. complex...

I have currently set up a network @ my apt. trying to supply the whole complex. I currently have a Arris VoIP cable modem w/ 8 Mbps/768 Kbps. package. I have a D-Link DGL-4500 router.

'D-Link GamerLounge - DGL-4500 Xtreme N Gaming Router'

formatting link

The router has 3 RP-SMA antennas and I am currently running a RP-SMA to type N female barrel that connects to a DC Injector. A 20' cable goes outside to the 1000mW 2.4GHz auto gain booster immediately connected to a 4' 12db. gain omnidirectional antenna. Now @ a cost of about $600.00 this set up has made me my money back in using my neighbors as customers paying me instead of some monopoly supplier. My coverage is very good and I am happy but I'm wondering if anybody has any hints on how to expand my network w/o stepping up to a T-1 line? I still have the other two antennas to use.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
greenpea52
Loading thread data ...

You'd do well to check your terms of service. No doubt it excludes reselling your connection. You're going to be up shit's creek when they find out and cut you off.

You can expect to cram multiple users through a slow pipe.

Nor can you use multiple antennas that way. They're designed to allow that ONE radio to maintain effective coverage. Not cover multiple areas. That's the short answer. For greater coverage you'd need multiple access points, each with their own antenna(e).

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Thanks for the info. I work for/with the carrier I am using for my internet so I'm not too worried about getting in trouble plus I have the sales rights to the complex for the same company. But you are correct according to the Internet Acceptable Use Policy reads as follows:

# resell the Service or otherwise make available to anyone outside the Premises the ability to use the Service (i.e. wi-fi, or other methods of networking), in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, or on a bundled or unbundled basis. The Service is for personal and non-commercial use only and you agree not to use the Service for operation as an Internet service provider or for any business enterprise or purpose, or as an end-point on a non-customer local area network or wide area network;

Thanks for everything.

One last thing. If I hook up a 18db antenna w another amp. or just split the signal, I can shoot that signal straight to a building right?

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
greenpea52

On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 23:57:32 -0500, greenpea52 wrote in :

Use a separate wireless access point and a good high gain antenna and you can indeed shoot a signal to a remote location given clear line of sight (including fresnel zone). Note that 18 dBi will have a narrow beam that will be hard to aim and keep aimed. You should first figure out how much coverage you need.

Reply to
John Navas

So when you get caught, you get fired too? Not all that wise.

Then sell it legitimately. The rate you're going, implementing it half-ass, is going to backfire when the users start complaining to the upstream provider thinking their paid-for service isn't working. The whole mess starts unraveling from there.

No. It's got ONE RADIO. The antennas just diversify how that one radio picks up signals. You can't expect to extend the coverage area that way. As has been suggested, use multiple access points. And stop trying to use small office/residential equipment for commercial services. They're just not up to the task once the loads get higher. Nor are they capable of being effectively monitored.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.