Wireless Standards and certifications

If i have to install a wired network i can look at several standars like EIA/TIA 568 and they will tell me how the work should be done (cable lengths, cable terminations, maximun tension aplied during instalation and so on.) but when talking about wireless networks things are not so clear.

Are there similar standars for wireless networks ? Can i certify a wireless network ? What specifications would my wireless network need to comply with in order to be certified ?

Other questions i can think of are:

- Which should be "standard" distance between access points ?

- What SNR is considered to be correct ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
landuchi
Loading thread data ...

landuchi hath wroth:

Not exactly. BISCI is now certifying wireless contractors as well as wired. See:

I've been tempted to get certified because the local hospitals are looking for ways to irritate their contractors and are asking for wallpaper.

Not that I know of. The reason is that much of the LAN wiring installation standards are based on the NEC (National Electrial Code) sections on "signalling" cabling. The primary interest is that the contract not do anything unsafe, in the eyes of the building inspectors, fire inspectors, or insurance companies. Since wireless (and fiber) are inherently fireproof and electrically safe, there are no safety standards. The only ones close are the FCC RF exposure and safety standards.

Certify to what standard? The Wi-Fi Alliance certifies the equipment, but not the installers, installation, or system.

- IEEE 802.11a/b/g

- Wi-Fi.org equipment certification

- Firewall certification. For example by ICSA:

- FCC Part 15 (incidental and intentional radiation)

- Electrical and fire safety standards (UL, etc)

If you look at the huge number of logos on the serial number tags, you'll see most of the electrical certification tags.

Those are inter-related. Very basically, for a given arrangement of locations, radios and antennas, you can trade:

- data rate (or thruput)

- distance

- error rate (SNR) for each other. The goal is to maximize the "fade margin" or SOM (system operating margin) at some value that will insure reliable operation. The relationship between reliability (or rather uptime) is directly related to the fade margin. 20dB fade margin is a good

*MINIMUM*. See the FAQ at:

Even more crudely, it doesn't matter how far or how fast as long as you have an adequate fade margin (at the speed and distance).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

They seem to have run out of new and spiffy ways to irritate the docs and (especially) the nurses. Seems like it is now your turn.. (g). Hmmm. I wonder if the people at the Joint Commission have decided this is something they are sticking their noses into. The LOVE to kill trees for no readily apparent reason.

>
Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.