Wireless speeds erratic, PCI card going bad?

All of a sudden the connection speeds are jumping around from 1.0 Mbps to 54 Mbps. The router is brand new and the other computers on the network are fine. Is this a symptom of the wireless PCI card going bad? The card is a Belkin F5D7000 and I've been basically downloading non-stop for 2 years straight.

Reply to
Mike
Loading thread data ...

What is new on the scene? New monitor, cordless phone, cell phone, antenna(s) moved, a metal file cabinet nearby, baby monitor, etc. etc. Regards Lee

Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita

formatting link

Reply to
Lee

So your neighbours bought wireless as well. Or a microwave. Or a wireless baby monitor. Or....

Reply to
Gerard Bok

If the problem is interference, is there a solution

Reply to
Mike

The problem is, that there is (very) limited bandwidth. To be shared by many people and many different services.

Sometimes you can optimize communication by selecting different channels or by some experimentation with the antenna orientation.

Reply to
Gerard Bok

Aint that something. I pay all this money for a wireless network only to have my neighbor's $10 Walmart cordless phone interfere with my signal.

Reply to
Mike

That's the gotcha with unlicensed spectrum.

802.11a is less likely to have such interference than 802.11b/g.
Reply to
John Navas

With the alternate problems of cost, range and obstructions.

To sort out the wireless stuff.

formatting link

802.11n looks to be promissing when finalised. Though pre-n eqiupment is available, I'm not ready to jump just yet....
Reply to
paulmd

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.