Wireless Solution

Most wireless routers support VPN. Atleast the newer ones.

Reply to
Robert Jacobs
Loading thread data ...

Have you looked at using WPA with radius authentcation? (such as the MS IAS) If you are using both w2k and windows xp I guess you need to find a client that has supports for w2k, one I know is MultiNetwork Manager from

formatting link
HTH /Mike

Reply to
Mike

Normally you don't have to, (it's built into most op syss/browsers/etc like my XP/ie Win2003/PDA Desktop/Win NT etc), there are however some out there that don't have it built in (think linux or palm os may be that way), don't know what you have, so I didn't want to make any absolute statements about needing it or not. You may want to look at what you have/use, it may already be in there, and you don't have to do anything.

Reply to
Peter Pan

nospam wrote in news:080220052122353226% snipped-for-privacy@nospam.invalid:

These are for connecting 2 routers together at different locations via VPN, not for separating local traffic via VLAN or local VPN.

completely off topic

Reply to
Smowk

"Peter Pan" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

that doesn't have anything to do with VPN, it's got VLAN support on the wireless LAN. still haven't looked into it (i slept instead), but i believe this should work.

wish me luck

smowk

Reply to
Smowk

I am hoping to move away from havinfg to install any IPsec client the users machines

Reply to
Ken Endeley

No i haven't. But this is the king of solution i am really looking for. Simple and secure.

Reply to
Ken Endeley

if you are interested, have a look at "Enterprise Deployment of Secure 802.11 Networks Using Microsoft Windows"

formatting link
describes how to set up the IAS

Reply to
Mike

Its not a wireless router, but you can always just add an AP to it for wireless. Check out the ZyWALL2 SPI Firewall Security Router with built in VPN Server.

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

Smowk wrote in news:Xns95F7E727490A9SmowkieBandit@216.196.97.131:

You would implement a protocol filter on the AP level.

Reply to
Lucas Tam

Smowk wrote in news:Xns95F7EDF4B9FC2SmowkieBandit@

216.196.97.131:

Zyxel has several.

Or a Linksys Router with Sveasoft firmware.

Reply to
Lucas Tam

Ken Endeley wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

If you want secure you'll have to use IPSec. Or possible WPA, but not all machines support WPA.

Reply to
Lucas Tam

Smowk wrote in news:Xns95F855E35AB2BSmowkieBandit@216.196.97.131:

Can't you hook your "internal" lan as an outside connect. Thus you're connecting the WiFi lan to the secure lan via VPN? It should work.

Reply to
Lucas Tam

Lucas Tam wrote in news:Xns95F9C020DB8Fnntprogerscom@

140.99.99.130:

nope

Reply to
Smowk

Lucas Tam wrote in news:Xns95F9BB4DEA75nntprogerscom@

140.99.99.130:

These are all for connecting to a VPN server across the internet

NOT LOCALLY!!!!!!

And they only provide VLAN support for the 5 HARDWARE ports on the router, not the WiFi connection!!!

lol

i'm guessing there is no options...

Reply to
Smowk

Lucas Tam wrote in news:Xns95F9B802630Cnntprogerscom@

140.99.99.130:

which protocol?

Reply to
Smowk

Smowk wrote in news:Xns95F95921B2E62SmowkieBandit@

216.196.97.131:

You could filter NetBios. Cisco's Aironet APs seem to allow you to do this.

formatting link

Reply to
Lucas Tam

FWIW, there is nothing magic about IAS. You can do the radius server for

802.1x with FreeRadius on a Linux box. In other words, free.
Reply to
Joe Matuscak

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.