Wireless sniffing

I have a question about sniffing on networks. I know that it is possible to sniff on a wired network, even without an IP address, and i know it is possible to sniff on an unencrypted or encrypted wireless network, but is it possible for someone to have cracked my WEP key, sit on my network and sniff or communicate on my network w/o an IP address? Using a wireless IDS (kismet), i can see that my access point has packets going through the air, even though my laptop is turned off. I checked in my linksys web-based management page and there are no other MAC addresses assigned. someone could be using a static IP, but can they be listening or communicating w/o an IP address?

Thanks!

-matt

Reply to
Matt
Loading thread data ...

Yes, it is possible for someone to intercept your signal, without you knowing about it and it's also possible to break WEP.

Reply to
James Knott

Maybe i wasn't clear enough: Is it possible that someone cracked my WEP and is sniffing on my network w/o an IP address, like in promiscious mode?

Reply to
Matt

Matt schrieb:

At first, a wep key can be cracked after sniffing about 500.000 enmcrypted packets with unique IVs. You can see the kismet information page on a WLAN to see some datails If you have less packets it will take some time to crack the key.

The AP is constantly sending out broadcast packets like beacon frames. They are not encrypted and so they don't help in decrypting the key.

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Krüger

I wouldn't say useless, but not as useful as i had thought. Basically, i cracked my own WEP and because enough data went through the air to do this, i want to know if anyone else cracked it.

Just curious, if its so useless, what would you use?

No i haven't heard of radio towers. I'm not sure how that's possible since it's A) analog data B) nothing is sent from the radio, but enlighten me....

-matt

Reply to
Matt

Yes , quite possible , but why ? would they do that ? I suggest if that is your suspicion you had best google for some security .

Reply to
atec

Wep is useless and can be cracked in 2 hours on a moderately used network by a 10 year old with open source software.

Also, have you heard of a radio tower than can detect how many radios are tuned into it?

Reply to
Coenraad Loubser

Perfectly possible, but not *that* likely. You have to collect quite a lot of packets to crack WEP (I've tried on my own network), and it's probably not worth the effort. If you have kismet, you'd see them associate with the AP anyway.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Perhaps you should be asking, if there's anyone who hasn't cracked it. ;-)

I keeps out the casual intruder.

Analog/digital has nothing to do with it. If it's sent by radio, anyone within range can receive the signal and analyze it.

Reply to
James Knott

While I use WEP, it's outside my firewall, which requires ssh or vpn to get through.

Reply to
James Knott

Or vpn.

Reply to
James Knott

Heh heh heh, I was just emphasising the point that anyone with a normal lan packet sniffer and an 802.11b/g client adapter can receive all the packets sent out by any of the adapters on your lan, without "associating" or "connecting" to any of them :D

sure, wep is enough to hold of amateurs

The better access points implement TKIP and 802.11X, which has a key that changes rapidly and possiblity of an authentication server on the lan.

I hope that answers your questions.

So yes, it is possible for anyone to decode any traffic.

I would use ZIP files with long passwords to send sensitive information, as a quick fix.

And ssl connections for pop and smtp, https for web

Actually, I do use that!

Reply to
Coenraad Loubser

[ standard wlan security is just a joke ]

Just use it and tunnel anything through a ssh (2), only allow ssh on the wireless lan (iptables), nothing else, force key authentication only. There shouldn't be much left for crackers and they'll probably look out soon for some other wlan.

[..]
Reply to
Michael Heiming

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.