Wireless Security (WEP)

Hello, I have been accessing my Netgear WGT624 Wireless router with my business IBM ThinkPad G40 flawlessly, for a few months so far. However, my wireless home network is an unsecured one and anyone can access it. I went into my router configuration and enabled WEP 128bit (also tried 64bit) encryption and it generated a key for me to enter on the laptop end. My laptop recognizes the signal and that it is a protected network. I enter the security key and it end ups connecting but it states, "with limited or no connectivity." Under details it also states, "You might not be able to access the Internet or some network resources. This problem occurred because the network did not assign a network address to the computer(laptop)." When I disable WEP security, I can see in the router configuration that the laptop is assigned an available IP address. I cannot figure out why the router is not providing my laptop an IP. Any help would really be apprecieated.

Thank you, DP

Reply to
DP
Loading thread data ...

Possibly not the same key. The key must be in either ASCII or hex on both, and a common problem is ASCII on one and hex on the other.

Reply to
John Navas

Try entering hex key, not as ascii key, on both ends. I have heard that some products generate the key differently if ASCII format is used. So just enter the keys manually, or generate the key on other end using ASCII key and copy the produced hex key as such to the other end.

BR, Sami

Reply to
Sami Heikkinen

DHCP was checked, I uncheked it but I still have no IP. Thank you.

DP

Reply to
DP

Hello, I can see the key on the router end is being creates in HEX, I am typing it in on the laptop as HEX as well. Not sure if there is anything special that I need to do, I don't see why. I hope this is OK, but I have copied what I have been looking at and the options I have to select from.

Wireless Settings

Wireless Network Name (SSID): Region: --- Select Region ---AfricaAsiaAustraliaCanadaEuropeFranceIsraelJapanMexicoSouth AmericaUnited States Channel: 0102030405060708091011 Mode: b onlyg onlyg and b108Mbps onlyAuto 108Mbps --> Channel is really set to 11 & Mode to G & B

Security Options Disable WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key)

--> Not sure what WPA-PSK should be used for, I used WEP.

Security Encryption (WEP) Authentication Type: AutomaticOpen SystemShared Key --> Open System & Shred Key are the other 2 options under Authentication Type

Encryption Strength: 64bit128bit152bit --> 64 bit, 128 & 154bit are the options

Security Encryption (WEP) Key Passphrase: Key 1: Key 2: Key 3: Key 4:

--> I enter any alpha numeric characters under the passphrase field, click on Generate and it creates 4 diff keys, I select one and that is the key that I enter on the laptop end.

what else is there? I can't see why this shouldn't work.

Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

DP

Reply to
DP

Sounds a bit like you have enabled the DHCP client list filter on the router.

Have you checked that?

If so, turn it off.

Cheers

Rob

Reply to
me here

Have you tried it with the firewall, antivirus off?

Is it in your list of trusted sites ?

Cheers

Rob

Reply to
me here

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.