Wireless Security (lack of)

Hi, and thanks for any help.

> > I have read previous posts and this article: >
formatting link
> about securing my Belkin 802.11b wireless router: >

formatting link

I have implemented the SSID, disabled the broadcasting and set the > encryption to 128 bit generated by a unique passphrase. > > Yesterday a tech friend from down the road came over to do some work. > With his laptop, he was on my network in less than ten seconds, > without knowing anything about the settings. I asked him how he did > it and he said that my network's not secure. Can anyone explain to me > how this is possible? Is there something I'm overlooking in the > security settings? At first I thought perhaps he was picking up a > neighbor's router. But I can't detect any other connections local to > my house. I then double checked the wireless settings and everything > is as it should be. Any ideas? > > Thanks > Doug

Hi All, As it turns out, my buddy did nothing special to connect to my network. (in fact he said he connected as if it was an open router.) Now I don't know for sure that he was connected to my network or not, but inside my house, my wireless card does not find any other connections besides mine. I'm going to try taking my laptop outside and scanning around in case his wirless card is just much better at recieving signals than mine is. Will post again if I find anything.

Again thank you all for your help.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Beattie
Loading thread data ...

Was this the first time your friend visited? If he was there previously, maybe you gave him the key so that he could connect, and he still had a saved configuration.

Is your key something that you might both have enabled for an encrypted network at work?

Reply to
dold

No, he hadn't been here with his laptop before, and no, no keys on our router at work - it's completely open with a dedicated (separate from our company's intranet) connection to the Internet.

Thanks Doug

Reply to
Doug Beattie

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.