Wireless Security

How can we ensure safety of data/communication for wifi hot spot user without putting any wep or wpa key into user laptop. Most of the hot spots are unsecured.

Reply to
wireless
Loading thread data ...

Your question is akin to asking "how can I secure my my house without putting any locks on the doors?" :-)

If you only visit webpages using SSL you'd be a little safer but thats virtually impossible. IMHO Wifi hotspots are not generally suitable for secret or confidential traffic amongst the general public.

The way corporates do it is to run a VPN environment. End-users connecting from out-of-office locations connect to the corporate VPN servers, establish a VPN connection, enter their security codes and all traffic is then encrypted. This isn't trivial to set up, and to maintain proper security control you have to block all other traffic from the client eg they can only browse the net through the VPN.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.