wireless security

should I use web email like yahoo or something when at a public wireless connection ?

Does norton 2006 provide adequate wirless protection ?

Is there a good book that covers wireless security ?

Reply to
surf
Loading thread data ...
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Yes *if* it's an HTTPS connection. I use Gmail (Google Mail), which does support HTTPS, although you have to do that manually. Or I use SSL/TLS with a conventional POP3/IMAP/SMTP email client (Mozilla Thunderbird).

No!

See the Security section of the Wi-Fi Wiki below.

Reply to
John Navas

Do you ave access to the Internet? Do you know what google is and how to use it? Why get a book?

Reply to
Brian

What about microsoft outlook express via pop3/smtp ? I didn't see anything on SSL in the options anywhere after a quick look

Reply to
surf

There are websites that gave details about wireless security try to google it as I forget the link...

Regarding norton 2006, I have the Norton Internet security and it works!

. Just be sure that you scan your pc for vulnerabilities and norton will give you a clue if your PC is secure or not... If not try to secure it first before you go wireless.

You need to have a strong password to start with..when you see a prompt asking where you are connecting wirelessly when you scroll from the drop down menu, click AWAY so that the protection level will be raised than if you click HOME or OFFICE...

Reply to
Roy
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

As always, "Google is your friend:"

In the first few results you'll probably see

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.