Wireless Router with Hardware On/Off Switch for Wireless?

Is there a reputable wireless router available with an easily- accessible hardware on/off switch on it for enabling/disabling the wireless component? I would like to have the wired switch/router combination working all of the time, but be able to very easily enable the wireless only at those times I want to use it and disable it at all other times, without have to log into the router on a wired connection in order to enable the wireless.

Reply to
kc_cmc
Loading thread data ...

On 11 Mar 2007 07:57:11 -0700, kc snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in :

I personally don't know of any wireless router with a hardware switch that will turn the radio on and off -- they rely on web browser or other network interface.

Why do you want a hardware radio switch? If security is your concern, WPA with a strong passphrase will ensure that. (If you're really paranoid, go for WPA2.)

Otherwise, as has already been suggested here, you could use a wired router, with a separate wireless access point (or wireless router configured as an access point) that you could turn on and off at will.

Reply to
John Navas

SMCWBR14-N

formatting link
you look closely at the picture of the rear side you can see the switch, I had to use the zoom.

Reply to
kev

a couple of the billion I think as well.

Reply to
atec 77

kc snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com hath wroth:

Yes. It's called an access point. You seperate the router from the radio (access point) in two seperate boxes. The router section stays on all the time. However, the wireless box gets powered on and off as needed. I use this system in a local bar, that has free wi-fi during the light daytime hours, but wants the laptops and table hogs out of the place after 5PM.

There's no need to buy a new box that's only an access point. Any wireless router can be used if the router section is ignored and the DHCP server is disarmed. The wireles access point connects to the router via CAT5 to one of the LAN ports.

If this is unacceptable, I once found a patch to DD-WRT to use the front panel push botton on the later WRT54G/GS boxes as a radio on-off switch. However, I can't find it in my settings or with Google. Maybe later.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hi,

This is pretty much just echoing what Jeff already said, but the open WAP going through my captive portal can be turned on and off with just a wall switch.

Well, you have your own reasons for not wanting to radiate anything at all during certain times, so....

I'm sure there are animals out there that will do specifically that, although the same thing could be done with any WAP by just using a lamp timer. Cheap and simple, but it'll work...

I'm with Jeff on the notion of breaking routing and wireless off into two seperate devices. It gives you much more flexibility...

Reply to
Eric

Jeff Liebermann hath wroth:

Foundit. Under DD-WRT v23 SP1 -> Administration -> Services is the setting: Use SES for turning off radio [ ]Enable [x]Disable

SES is "secure easy setup" which means punch the button and the router is allegedly setup.

It should work for any of the multitude of routers that run DD-WRT:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.