Wireless router safety and vulnerabilities

I have happily had the same Linksys router (BEFSR41) for a few years now and just lately have had issues with no connectivity. It is now disconnected and I am directly connected to the modem. I went thru the Support folks at Linksys in India and after multiple attempts to reset both the modem and the router AND attempting to use, unsuccessfully, specific Linksys addresses; they came to the conclusion that the router was fried. This started last Thursday around the same time as Zonealarm was updated coincidentally or not...who knows. So, now I have a new Linksys wireless G router (so my wife whose office is upstairs can connect to my hi speed connection wirelessly); I have not hooked it up yet BUT I am now having belated concerns about microwave emissions/radiation toasting my gonads over time (the router is on top of my computer case under my desk). So I guess the questions are: How dangerous is a wireless router to one's health; in truth? Is there a "safe" distance to place a wirless router from one's body so as to not roast one's "gonads"? I heard you can "lock down" a wirelss router by using the specific MAC address of the "only" computer I want sharing the network (my wife's upstairs) Will my computer be safe? Finally, is my computer in essence 'hardwired' since the cable connection goes straight into the modem and then a cable into the router which is connected by cable directly to my computer with the router 'transmitting' that signal 'wirelessly' to my wife's computer upstairs) OR is my computer also 'broadcasting'?

Kinda long sorry, Thanks in advance

Reply to
mp898
Loading thread data ...

If this were the case, you better stay away from, cordless phones, microwave ovens, Cell phones,Elec blankets, Wireless mice. ETC, ETC. Line your house in tinfoil helps also. :)

Reply to
Kevin Weaver

Reply to
Airman Thunderbird

| snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote: |> How dangerous is a wireless router to one's health; in truth? |> Is there a "safe" distance to place a wirless router from one's body so |> as to not roast one's "gonads"? | | If this were the case, you better stay away from, cordless phones, | microwave ovens, Cell phones,Elec blankets, Wireless mice. ETC, ETC. | Line your house in tinfoil helps also. :)

Be sure it is genuine tin. That aluminum crap won't work as well. And don't waste your money on gold plating the tin, either. Silver? Save that for the daggers. :)

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.