Wireless router reboot frequency

I have had a wireless setup for over a year and a half now. My router is a Netgear WGR314 that behaved well until the past couple of months.

When I first set it up, I had a 22-25 signal (wifi manager app...6-7 is considered poor, when the router is within 10 feet of the card it registers a 45) on my desktop across the house. This would be a sustained signal with no dropped connections. Recently, my desktop (SuSE 9.1, but I have a windows xp laptop that exhibits the same issues within the house) started not being able to see the connection unless I reboot the router. Nothing has changed environmently to inhibit the connection and once connected, I still get a 22-25 signal. It just seems to be unavailable more often than not now.

I've also encountered friends/colleagues who say they have to reboot their routers (various models) more than once a day. Given the variables involved, is there any "normal" frequency that should be expected to reboot a wireless router?

What specifications should I look for if I want to buy a better device (mine is a v1)?

Thank you, Dave

Reply to
tom_sawyer70
Loading thread data ...

I run a Linksys WRT54GS using HyperWRT firmware. It has a little "uptime" counter on the status page.

Whenever I've looked at it the amount of uptime is usually 7 days or more. I don't think I've ever see it over 30 days however. There are no problems connecting that were caused by the router.

Netgear makes a fine router so perhaps there's a problem with the router or the power adapter.

Lance

tom snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com thought carefully and wrote on 5/31/2006 5:50 PM:

Reply to
Lance

I have had several routers, never have had to reboot except when I change parameters that require a reboot. If you have to reboot several times per week or more, then you need to investigate what happens with a direct connection to your modem. If all is well with a direct connection to the modem then your router has failed.

If a direct connection to the modem fails, then you need to call your customer service.

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

Q, Wired connections to the router do not drop and I've had VoIP for over two years, so I'm confident in my DSL modem and my wired connections to the router. It's just the wireless connections that seem to drop...and the interesting piece is that it has become significantly more frequent recently.

Dave

Reply to
tom_sawyer70

Have you recently started using a 'file-sharing' app like Azeurus? I've seen many routers fall over with these kinds of apps. Some vendors are starting to come out with firmware updates to address the issue(s), have you checked to see if there's an update for yours?

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

I do not use any file sharing software, but I will see if I there is a firmware update. The odd thing about a configuration change is that this worked well for quite awhile (the client has not changed, the router location, etc. has not changed).

Dave

Reply to
tom_sawyer70

Are the wireless dropping or are they hunting among other neighborhood connections available? You should set the wireless properties so that your named (SSID) network is the only one in Preferred Networks, select Infrastructure networks only and disable the automatic connection option. You should broadcast SSID; if this is not currently set, then try setting that in the router. You can also change channel in the router to 9 or 11 that are out of the way of the default 6.

Q
Reply to
Quaoar

9 interferes with 6 (and 11). Try 1 instead of 9.
Reply to
John Navas
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Might be interference. See Wi-Fi Fixes below.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.