Wireless router (or AP) with hardware on/off switch for WLAN

I'm looking for a wireless router (G or better N) with at least 4 ethernet port with the on/off hardware switch for the WLAN. So I need the router always on but with the possibility to switch on or off the WLAN.

Do you know witch one can fit these needs?

thank you! carlo

Reply to
Carlo Vellano
Loading thread data ...

If you don't want to simply turn it off and on from your browser (with the requisite menu-crawl), you might try slipping a couple of large tin cans over the antennae; as long as the "tin" cans are conductive (i.e., not plastic) and larger than the antennae, they will attenuate the radiated signal by a bunch.

Reply to
Bob Willard

Hi Carlo,

My Toshiba Laptop have a physical WLAN ON/OFF switch in the front, but with wireless routers I haven't seen such a product yet. You can still use two separate units, I mean a router and wireless access point with an Ethernet cable between them.

Panda,

formatting link

Reply to
Panda

On 7 Mar 2007 00:58:51 -0800, "Carlo Vellano" wrote in :

There is no actual n yet, only "draft n", with no guarantee of an upgrade to final n -- so I suggest saving money by going with good g instead.

That said, I personally don't know of any wireless router with a hardware switch that will turn the radio on and off -- they rely on web browser or other network interface.

Why do you want a hardware radio switch? If security is your concern, WPA with a strong passphrase will ensure that. (If you're really paranoid, go for WPA2.)

Otherwise, as has already been suggested, you could use a wired router, with a separate wireless access point (or wireless router configured as an access point) that you could turn on and off at will.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.