Wireless Router not assigning an IP address to my laptop.

Hi All,

I have a COMPUSA 54 MBPS wireless broadband router. I didn't have any problems connecting to it till now.

Suddenly the connection on my laptop showed limited / no connectivity. I was not able to connect to the admin opage of the router as well.

When I tried repairing it using the Windows option, it showed that the router is unable to assign an IP to the laptop. So I went ahead and manually configured an IP as 192.168.2.100 (same as the router would have assigned in the usual case) and default gateway as 192.168.2.1. When I did this, I was able to connect to the admin page of the router, but then again it didn't help.

Right now I am connected to my Cable modem directly and its working absolutely fine. So its not the modem thats an issue. Als since the wireless adaptor shows full strength signal and tries to connect to the router I am assuming that the hardware is not an issue. So I tried to upgrade the firmware, but that didn't help too. Here's my ipconfig output when connected to the wireless router. I get the same when I connect to the ethernet cable through the router.:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : keethy-kuty Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Physical:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Cont roller Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-14-22-AC-01-59

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless

2200BG Network Connection Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-6F-95-6D-80 Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.158.198 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

I guess the DHCP has a problem on the router, but what can I do abt. it. Can anyone help?

Thanks, Anand.

Reply to
keethyanandpr
Loading thread data ...

Assuming wi-fi LED or swith is turned on in your system, does your router uses MAC filtering? If so disable it.

Reply to
kimiraikkonen

Router does not have any MAC filtering. Like I said, it was working all fine and suddently died on me. I have even tried resetting the settings and all. In vain !!!

Reply to
keethyanandpr
  1. See if your laptop will work with DHCP on a different wireless network (e.g., public hotspot).

1. Try a different wireless router.

On 4 Apr 2007 21:35:15 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas

quoted text -

I tried that, but got the same response. My laptop doesn't find an IP address through the DHCP of the router. Now I guess the problem is not with my wireless router but with my wireless network card. I have a Intel (R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Wireless card. Incidently, when I checked the properties of the card, it shows a MAC address of

00-00-00-00-00-00. Is this normal ? Or has my network card flipped off suddenly?

Regards, Anand.

Reply to
keethyanandpr

quoted text -

Be sure you're not connecting to a different SSID instead of your home's/office's. Check it. Check and enter security password carefully. Good luck.

Reply to
kimiraikkonen

On 7 Apr 2007 01:25:21 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

You tried what exactly? Your "that" is hopelessly vague.

Guessing is rarely effective. Try sacrificing small animals.

Using Intel software or Windows (WZC)?

Depends on how and when you checked it.

Reply to
John Navas

I tried connecting to a different wireless router (Belkin), but the result was the same.

The wireless card driver was installed by Windows automatically. So I guess it should be windows and not intel.

I checked the MAC at the properties window of te wireless card in device manager. I uninstalled the device and added it again, so now it shows a valid MAC, however my problem still persists.

Hope that give an idea of my problem.

Regards, Anand.

Reply to
keethyanandpr

Hide quoted text -

That's all done successfully, else I would not be shown the Limited / No Connectivity window for a wrong password / ssid.

Regards, Anand.

Reply to
keethyanandpr

On 7 Apr 2007 09:48:37 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Not necessarily. I can't parse exactly what you mean -- it would be helpful if you didn't mash unrelated things together into too few words

-- but it's quite possible to get "limited connectivity" (which means DHCP has failed) when connecting to the wrong SSID. If and only if (a) the SSIDs are _unique_ and (b) you're getting a "connection" to the correct unique SSID can you be sure you don't have an SSID issue.

Reply to
John Navas

On 7 Apr 2007 09:46:37 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

What result? How was the Belkin configured? Did you try a public hotspot (as I suggested)? Why didn't you answer my questions directly? EXACT symptoms and messages please!

Guessing isn't helpful. "Assumption [is] the mother of all screwups." You need to figure out which it is.

Not really. Sorry.

Reply to
John Navas

I was connected to the router and all was working fine when this happened suddenly (status changed from 'Connected' to 'Limited / No Connectivity'). Would that be possible if I was not connected to the right SSID? In that case I can try re-configuring the router and connecting again.

Regards, Anand.

Reply to
keethyanandpr

On 7 Apr 2007 10:33:36 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

I've seen that happen during wireless startup -- basically Windows XP is lying to you. It can also happen if and when DHCP lease renewal fails.

Reply to
John Navas

Anand,

As a workaround you can try setting up an Alternative configuration with static IP address on your laptop, providing that you have administrator privileges.

Reply to
Eugene F.

I tried doing that too. I set my statis ip as 192.168.2.100 (what the router would have finally given me) and default gateway as

192.168.2.1. Only then am I able to connect to the router admin, else even that is not possible.

But after this, there is no internet connection. The only place I am able to connect to is the router admin.

Regards, Anand.

Reply to
keethyanandpr

But I checked with the router and the lease renewal is inifinity.

Reply to
keethyanandpr

Anand,

Sorry for the basics, but have you tried cold-rebooting the router by powering it off?

Reply to
Eugene F.

I would try reloading or reinstalling the drivers for your wireless nic card as well as getting the latest ".Net ...Framework" optional software updates from Microsoft Windows Updates.....

Reply to
Etop Udoh

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.