Wireless router LAN problems

Hi, I have a office with 2 x 8port DLINK ethernet switches connected to each other. All the PCs connect to these two dlink switches. We are able to use the LAN network across all the PCs without any problems.

There is also a Linksys wrtg54g wireless router connected to a free port on this Dlink switch. The purpose is to access the office LAN through my laptop having intel pro b/g wireless chipset. However from time to time, I lose access to my LAN over the wireless connection. However, there is good wireless connectivity & I'm able to ping the router successfully. Also, the activity light on the router blinks to indicate activity over the LAN cable connected to the dlink switch. The connection works for a few minutes after powering the linksys off and on and then stops working. I've tried a new wireless router without any success. I know the laptop is fine because I'm able to use it at my home without any problems.

Please help.

- Naveen

Reply to
naveen_pn
Loading thread data ...

naveen snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com hath wroth:

If it's not the wireless router, and the wireless client computer appears to be functional, that leaves RF interfence. Each source has its own characteristic pattern. Reading between your lines, it sounds like microwave oven or cordless phone interference. However, I'm guessing. Can you supply a better description of the pattern? How long do you stay diconnected and how often?

Checklist of possible interference sources: Microwave oven 2.4Ghz video or security camera link (X10). Municipal wireless networks. Bluetooth devices (mouse, phone, PDA, headset, cell phone, etc) Portable wireless TV camera used at sports events. Frequency hopping cordless phones (Panasonic Gigarange) 802.11b/g wireless keyboards, PDA's, and cell phones. 2.4GHz game pads and controllers. RF Excited Lighting (Fusion Lighting). 2.4GHz baby monitors. 2.4GHz ham radio operation. WISP (wireless internet service providers) which may be using non-802.11 type of modulation (i.e. WiMax). Breezecom/Alvarion/Symbol/Raylink frequency hopping networks. Western Multiplex or Proxim non-802.11 wireless links. (e.g Lynx). HomeRF frequency hopping network. Zigbee 802.15.4 sensor wireless network. Microwave fruit drying oven, plastic mold preheater. Unstable high power wi-fi power amplifier spraying garbage.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hi Jeff, Certainly it cannot be the interference as the cordless phone I use operates at 900Mhz and there is no possibility of other sources in the office. I can also say this is not the case as I'm able to ping the Linksys successfully each time and I'm always able to login into its admin page through my laptop successfully. Naveen.

Reply to
naveen_pn

naveen snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com hath wroth:

If you're able to login to your admin page successfully in the router via wireless, but cannot connect to the internet, then there's something wrong on the WAN (internet) side of the puzzle. It's not a wireless problem. This will need to be handled by whomever does your office IT. If you have a DSL or cable modem, watch the "sync" or "WAN" lights when it goes comatose to see if you're losing the connection. Also, try one of the free ping monitor programs to ping the gateway IP address at your ISP (first connection on the way to the internet) from a desktop PC. That will identify if you're losing your internet connection.

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.