Wireless Router & Internet Explorer - - HELP!

Hi. I bought a Linksys Broadband Router today and have a problem. My desktop computer is connected to the new router and works fine. I have a Dell laptop, however, that I would like to use wireless. I created my "network" and set up the security; it worked fine when I accessed it from the laptop. I even had to key in the security code, and was able to connect. The icon in the bottom right corner says I'm connected with excellent strength. I was able to update my virus protection, accessing the internet through the software (?). Everything seems to work properly....until I bring up Internet Explorer. It tries to bring up my front page (Yahoo), but I get the old "Cannot find server - - The page cannot be displayed" error. Any website I try to go to gets the same error, unless I work offline. The Linksys software, when copying the data from the desktop PC to the laptop, accessed the internet and I got the following message: "Congratulations! Your wireless home network has been set up successfully. NetSet Assistant has successfully configured your wireless adapter and has verified that a wireless connection exists." I have the bubble at the bottom that says "Wireless Network Connection is now connected," so I believe it is actually connected, but I can't get it to work with Explorer. I went to the Microsoft website and downloaded a Guided Help program, which came back with a message to talk to my ISP provider. I don't know how to make Explorer work!

The only question I have about the actual router is this: If a wireless connection is made, does one of the lights on the router come on, or is that only ones hooked up directly? Because at the moment, only the first light (desktop PC) is on.

I would appreciate any suggestions anyone might have. I have looked quite a bit under Tools-Internet Options-Connections, but I'm a bit of a novice and don't know what the proper settings should be. I have used the laptop in a company that had their own server, and it worked at home when I could find a local user that was unsecured, but I don't know if there are settings from the old company that need to be removed (or where to find those settings). Thanks for any help that can be provided.

Reply to
Hawkman217
Loading thread data ...

On 19 Aug 2006 19:12:30 -0700, "Hawkman217" wrote in :

Suggest you download and try Mozilla Firefox. It's a better browser, but if nothing else it will tell you if this is just an IE problem.

No light comes on for wireless.

Reply to
John Navas

You copied data from your desktop machine to your laptop machine and they did this be accessing the Internet. ???

It may be connected to the wireless router that indicates the connection is good. But that doesn't necessarily mean that the machine has a connection to the Internet and that the wireless machine can access the Internet.

You went there with the wire machine.

You should go to the DOS Command Prompt and enter Ping

formatting link
or
formatting link
and see the IP that the Ping command returns if the machine has a good connection to the Internet. That would be with the wire machine that has a good connection.

Then you can issue the Ping command with the wireless machine see what come back.

You can enter IPconfig /all on the wire machine and see the IP(s) it is using. You should do the same with the wireless computer. If the IP for the wireless computer show a 169. IP, it means the computer has timed out in getting a DHCP IP from the router. The 169 IP will allow the machine to be accessed or it can be accessed by a machine on the LAN. But it will not allow the machine to access the Internet, because it's not using an IP from the router, like the one that can access the Internet.

If the machine does have the 169 IP, then there is some kind of mis-configuration going on between the wireless router and the wireless NIC and it can't get an IP, even though you have some kind of connection on the wireless to the router.

If that's not the case above, then look at resolutions below.

It could be anything.

formatting link
You can continue the resolution search.

formatting link

If I recall on my wireless router a BEFW11S4 model long ago I use to use I don't use wireless anymore, it had some transmission light or lights that would flicker, letting me know that s that wireless transmission be the the router and a client machine was taking place.

Maybe, the links above will resolve your issues.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

"Hawkman217" hath wroth:

Any particular model Linksys router?

I'll spare you the details but "connected" does not necessarily mean that you have sucessfully negotiated the encryption key. Try temporarily turning off encryption on the router and see if it works. Once you have it working without encryption, then turn on WPA-personal or WPA2-personal encryption.

You can tell if you're successful by checking the IP address of your laptop. Start -> Run -> cmd IPCONFIG If it says 192.168.1.xxx, it's working. If it says 169.254.xxx.xxx, it's not working. If it says 0.0.0.0, wait a few more seconds.

No. There is no status information on the front panel of your unspecified wireless router. Someone could write a program that would send Morse code on the lights to tell you how many active connections are in use.

What old company? On the router or the laptop? If the laptop, then they might be some complications like a VPN shim, or security profiles that need to be disarmed or bypassed. The easiest check is to drag the laptop to a coffee shop with free wireless and try it there. If that works, then you're fairly sure that it will work with your unspecified Linksys wireless router.

Incidentally, you might want to check the Linksys web pile for firmware updates to your new router. The stuff on the shelf has only rarely the latest firmware.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.