Wireless Router interference w/mouse?

I installed a Linksys WRT54GS and notice the mouse becuase intermittent after I installed it. I changed the batteries in the mouse and it was still intermittent. When I move the mouse recevier close to the mouse the problem when away. When I moved the receiver back to original spot the problem returned.

Are there issue with wireless routers interferring with wireless mouse? Even though at different frequencies I would guess there could be bleed over into mouse reviever from a strong router signal.

Any experience with this issue.? Its a Microsoft wireless mouse.

thanks for any input

Reply to
trs80
Loading thread data ...

What happens when you move the mouse receiver away from the WRT54G?

The MS Mouse run on about 27MHz. The WRT54GS runs at 2400MHz. In theory, there should be no interference.

I have several customers with the new MS wireless mouse and keyboard combination. The range sucks. I can get totally reliable performance from the older units, or from Logitech systems, up to at least 6 ft. The new MS devices will barely penetrate a 3/4" oak desk, barely work to 3ft, and acts flakey. It also has a very fast "sleep" mode to save power that causes erratic startup behavior. I found that I had to put the receiver almost in front of the monitor for it to work. On other wireless keyboards and mice, I could hide the receiver almost anywhere on or under the desk. I was not impressed.

The lack for range and sensitivity may be intentional. It's always a problem to have a mess of wireless keyboards and mice in one office. Although one mouse will not take over a different machines system, they do interfere with each other by creating erratic behavior. By reducing the range and sensitivity, they probably throught they could increase the number of systems allowed in one area. Same with the aggressive sleep mode. It improves battery life, even if it drives the user nuts.

The typical mouse receiver is a joke. The receiver is not very sensitive, but almost any strong RF signal will cause it to go into "blocking". Blocking is where the receiver input stage is saturated with enough RF to cause rectification, effectively turning it off. My guess is that the beacon transmissions from the access point are trashing the mouse receiver in this manner.

The problem can also appear at the mouse transmitter end. Shove enough RF into the transmitter, and it too can rectify the RF, causing it to shut off. This is less common, but still possible.

Lastly, the wall wart power supply for the WRT54GS might be a switching supply causing RFI and EMI that is being received by the mouse receiver. If the wall wart is a small comparatively light weight unit, it's a switcher. The WRT54G will run on any wall wart from 5VDC to perhaps 15VDC (negative ground) so you might try a different wall wart.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

You might try changing the router's channel, move it at least three numbers from wherever it is now (probably 11).

JS

Reply to
Joseph Stewart

Reply to
trs80

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.