Wireless Router Can't See Wireless Device

I think you're right. I don't see an image link.

Reply to
M.L.
Loading thread data ...

I called before and they told me the SMCWTVG was too old for tech support.

Reply to
M.L.

I had no success when setting the default gateway to that of the SMC IP or when setting it to the Netgear IP.

I'm ready to conclude that the SMCWTVG can't connect wirelessly to another wireless router, and just move on. I ordered a DLink DPH-541 WiFi SIP phone that is designed to connect with a wireless router. I should have better luck with that. Thanks for all your time and effort. It is greatly appreciated.

Reply to
M.L.

If you're talking about the Netgear, it can definitely connect to multiple wireless computers at the same time. As mentioned in other replies, I was not able to connect the two routers using static IPs.

I've decided to give up on the SMCWTVG and move on to another wireless VOIP solution. Thanks for all your assistance and ideas Char.

Reply to
M.L.

Hi,

Hah :)! I guess that we're kind of in "the same boat" :(... I had just posted their support a question about a problem that I have with a different SMC device (an SMCWAPS-G), and that was the same response I got from them. Thanks a lot SMC :(!!

Jim

Reply to
ohaya

As a close to this thread I am happy to report that my Dlink DPH-541 WiFi Phone arrived today and it installed and worked flawlessly. It immediately found my router and accepted an IP, and all I had to do was enter the Gizmo5 VOIP SIP info to receive free inbound calls and make 1.9¢/minute outbound calls, all in less than 30 minutes. I plan to switch my outbound carrier to Future-Nine, which charges about

1.0¢/minute. Thanks again to all who replied.
Reply to
M.L.

I was intrigued by your choice of WiFi phone until I started reading reviews. Very disappointing to see that the negative outweigh the positive by at least 2 to 1. Hopefully, it will work out for you.

Reply to
Char Jackson

I'm currently a user of both Gizmo5 and Future-Nine.com. Also Skype and some private Asterisk servers.

Gizmo5 has some of the worst customer service on the planet. Two attempts to sign up for the their service has resulted in billing confusion, delayed activation, and signing up for stuff I didn't order. At this time, I use it only for outgoing calls. It works well, but be careful with the billing.

<

Future-Nine.com is probably the cheapest SIP provider available. I've been a customer for about a year, and am quite happy with the service. I pay $75/year for 300 minutes/month. It doesn't get much cheaper. I haven't had any downtime, except when something along the path gets constipated. That's the real problem as their servers are in New York, Miami, and Amsterdam. The owner (Nitzan Kon) was considering a left coast server several months ago, but I've heard nothing.

(35 positive, 0 negative)

The only connection to Wi-Fi is that I have a Linksys SPA921 that I sometimes connect to a butchered Linksys WRT54GL and battery pack setup as a wireless client bridge to make calls. It's not very portable but very useful for making cheap calls in some really odd locations, where the users want something resembling a real POTS phone.

Please let us know how the DPH-541 wi-fi phone works for you. I would especially like to know how well it works in marginal locations (long range, high reflections, plenty of intereference, etc).

I just plugged the wrong power supply into a PAP2. Smoke and several charred components. I hate days like this.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I think most of those negative reviews were due to outdated firmware. I really don't have most of those problems mentioned. I posted a positive review on Amazon that is more than a year since the last review. At least one of the reviews (re lack of Vonage compatibility) is the fault of the user, not DLink (see two comments). However, I

*am* concerned about the lack of replacement battery. Hopefully one will become available before mine runs out.
Reply to
M.L.

I don't plan on doing anything with Gizmo5 that will trigger a billing.

3600 outbound minutes/year will only cost me $36.00. And I do more inbound talking than outbound.

So far everything's OK with Gizmo5 both inbound and outbound. When I used the DPH-541 with my Voicestick SIP credentials I got an immediate busy signal for outbound calls, and inbound calls went straight to voicemail. When I entered those same Voicestick credentials into my PhonerLite softphone, inbound and outbound calling was perfect. I can't explain the discrepancy. Fortunately Gizmo5/inbound and Future-Nine/outbound will be my VOIP providers of choice.

I plan to keep the DPH-541 mostly housebound and use my cellphone outside. But I'll keep you informed of any unusual connection problems.

No more ATAs for me :-)

Reply to
M.L.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.