wireless router as AP

Hello,

I'm having some trouble setting up a DLink DI-624 wireless router to act as simple AP in my wired network. Has anyone managed to get something like this going? Here's my current setup and the results I'm seeing:

I have a Smoothwall box connecting two subnets to the internet. The first (192.168.1.0/24) is my (fully wired) LAN. The second subnet (192.168.2.0/24) consists of the DLink router connecting two laptops, one wired (A) and one wireless (B). DHCP is handled by the Smoothwall box, and is turned off on the DLink router. The router is connected via LAN port to the smoothie (no WAN connection).

When I connect A to the DLink router, everything works fine. It gets an IP from the smoothie and can access the internet. With B, the wireless connection works, it gets an IP from the smoothie, but can't ping anything other than A (A can also ping B).

Now, if I ping the DLink router or B itself from either the smoothie or any machine on the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet, B suddenly gains acces to the internet. And this continues to work (I suppose until the lease expires on its IP). I get the same behavior if I completely eliminate A from the setup.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, Leisha

Reply to
zarity
Loading thread data ...

On 30 Oct 2006 01:33:02 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Possible filtering. Suggest hard reset of both Smoothie and DahLink to factory defaults, and then reconfiguring.

Reply to
John Navas

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

The DLink is at factory defaults (except that DHCP is turned off). In particular there are no filtering rules. The smoothie has no rules blocking outbound traffic from the relevant subnet. Wired machines on this subnet have no problem accessing the internet. Further, the logs on the smoothie show that no traffic from the wireless machine (192.168.2.254) is reaching it.

Effectively, no traffic from the DLink's wireless segment is making it out of the DLink and onto the smoothie, until something from outside of the 192.168.2.0/24 subnet pings something inside that subnet. It's this last bit that really has me stumped.

Thanks again, Leisha

Reply to
zarity

Have you tried them on the same subnet rather than two different ones? In your post I see x.x.1.x and x.x.2.x

Not sure what happen when you have one dhcp server giving out addresses on two subnets (never tried it so just dont know what it will do)

Just out of curiosity, why are they on seperate ones? (check your firewalls and masks too)

Just for fun, can you put it all on one subnet to try it? Should hopefully work if you make it in the same address range as the existing wired... how bout staring at .00 to .124?

Reply to
Peter Pan

The two subnets are completely separate and independent. DHCP is served to 192.168.2.0/24 only, the fully wired LAN is all static.

1. They're logically two seperate networks.
  2. Security.

192.168.1.0/24 is a private network and should not be accessible to anything on 192.168.2.0/24, which only needs internet access.

I'll probablly give that a go just to see. But I'm quite convinced that the problem is within the DLink router.

Reply to
zarity

From your description, and what you already tried, that would be my current guess too... I had a linksys that was doing what you described your dlink as doing.. Figgered what the heck, got another and flashed the old one with dd-wrt v23 sp2

formatting link
figuring what the heck... heck happened... now it's a brick and holds the inside door open when the ac is on (was too light tho, had to duck tape a real brick to it)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.