Wireless repeater

You're right, I know nothing about ISPs in Poland, but if what you're saying is true, the "downright irresponsible" part belongs solely with the ISP for not knowing how to architect and manage their network, not with the customer.

For the record, I never advocated connecting any kind of device to an ISP without disabling its WAN-facing DHCP server. I only said doing so wouldn't, or SHOULDN'T, cause any issues for the ISP. Your statement that I somehow gave advice to the contrary is false.

Reply to
Char Jackson
Loading thread data ...

Some people doen't have telcos.

My line is connected to the ISP's router's (ZyXEL P2602R) RJ-11 WAN port. There's no modem - or the "modem" is built in. The router speaks PPPoA.

This particular router doesn't have wireless, and has only one RJ-45 LAN port. I have an external switch on the LAN side. But models do exist with both wireless and 4 port RJ-45 switches on the LAN side. When the DHCP server is switched off, these will function the same way as a 4 port switch and an AP.

My landline phone is connected to the router, which speaks VoIP.

No telco.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

For which I am constantly thankful.

Reply to
Warren Oates

The OP said he had DSL.

DSL is a telco offering in the sense that it isn't from a TV cable company, WISP, or satellite.

You have a ZyXEL P2602R. Who provides your DSL signal?

Reply to
DTC

Hopefully, you are intermittently thankful as I don't think I could handle the continuous duty cycle of being constantly thanked.

The largest ISP in Poland is Netia, which has been buying smaller ISP's since its founding in 1998. Netia currently has about 300,000 broadband customers. They deliver access via just about any form of connectivity you can imagine, including metro ethernet, WiMax and fiber. Netia also supplies voice (POTS) service to about 500,000 customers.

There's also Polish Telcom (Telekomunikacja Polska - TP) at tp.pl, which was government once owned and operated. About a year ago, they were directly responsible for 7.4% of the worlds spam mail, mostly due to uncontrolled bot nets on their systems. tp.pl was bought by France Telecom, who cleaned house.

I think it's a fair assumption that both of these large ISP's have a clue on how to setup their networks.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

The Zyxel P2602R has a built in ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+ modem.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

What does the modem do?

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

Modem - short for Modulator/Demodulator. Used to convert a digital data signal into an analog audio signal, and to covert audio back to digital.

DSL - Digital Subscriber Line. Telephone company (the telco) name for high speed data communications that uses an analog audio signal. The audio signal was far above human hearing, in the 25 KHz to

1100 KHz range.

DSL modem - Connects to the telephone line with an RJ-11 jack and the output of the modem was an 8-pin ethernet jack, often erroneously called an RJ-45 jack because of its modular form factor. Before home networking was popular, the modem was set as a bridge and the telco assigned an IP address to the computer connected to the modem.

These IP addresses were generated by the telco's router that connected to a switch, and then to the DSLAM modem. The switch isolated the subscribers - for that reason, if a subscriber connected a DHCP server to their DSL modem, it would not pass traffic to other subscribers; therefore it *would not screw up the ISPs whole network*.

Reply to
DTC

DTC wrote in news:%3Svk.18960$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi065.nbdc.sbc.com:

You really should re-read what the "I changed ISP and now I have internet connection via ethernet."

This ISP or "internet connection" could be anything including a shared flat, a dorm etc with a simpel gateway/router using a DHCP server.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

The WAN line indicates that he is using DSL, and his DSL modem is connected to the ISP via standard RJ-11 telco jack. It's only the LAN side of his DSL modem that has Ethernet. The OP was asking if he can attach a repeater or access point to the LAN side of his DSL modem, and that's when the part about DHCP screwing up the ISP's network (incorrectly) came up.

Reply to
Char Jackson

1. Provide access to the telco switch via ATM (asynchronous transfer mode). The modem part is to shred the ATM data into 256 carriers distributed between upload and download paths. The "modem" part is this reduction of digital data, into a modulation scheme suitable for stuffing down a yucky phone line.
  2. The telco switch terminates the DSL connection at a Redback router.
  3. Sitting on top of ATM are ethernet and sometimes IP layers (according to some RFC's that I'm too lazy to find). In effect, the MAC and IP layers are encapsulated inside tiny ATM packets. This happens both at the Redback router and inside your Zyxel modem.
  4. Coming out both the Redback router and your DSL modem are MAC layer ethernet packets. In effect, you get an ethernet connection between your computah and the ISP's router (encapsulated inside ATM packets). The IP layer is then applied according to yet another RFC on top of the MAC layer.
  5. I've left out lots of details as I only wanted to describe what the "modem" does and how it fits in the system.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Char Jackson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

: I am using router pentagram cerberus: : WAN: ADSL RJ-11 : LAN: 4X ethernet RJ-45 : Wireless Access point

The "WAN" indicates that he *was* using DSL.

That's before the OP changed ISP, and now - other than before - he has ethernet:

"I changed ISP and now I have internet connection via ethernet."

You can't read!

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

I actually think the OP is confused at to what he has exactly. Either that or he can't write.

Reply to
Warren Oates

Warren Oates wrote in news:00844843$0$10271 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Or didn't write. Makes no difference. The posting went unanswered for about a week. I made some assumptions and gave my opinion on that basis.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

The OP said "ADSL RJ-11"

That means one thing and one thing only - he has a DSL modem. Therefore it would NOT be anything else.

Reply to
DTC

DTC wrote in news:E00wk.20073$jI5.6750 @flpi148.ffdc.sbc.com:

That's what he *had* before he "changed ISP" - that's not necessarily what he *has* now. All we know is, that he *now* has an internet connection via ethernet - and some sort of ISP.

HTH

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

I repeat: I don't think he _knows_ what he's got. What ISP runs ethernet drops to all its customers?

Reply to
Warren Oates

That's what I was thinking, I have never ever heard of an ISP running ethernet to all.....

Reply to
Peter Pan

Maybe not to all, but I worked at an ISP that ran ethernet drops to some, especially those located in buildings where we had facilities.

We also had cases where the DSL modem was mounted in an equipment room (we did a few of these in smaller multi-client office buildings), so from the customer's point of view, the only inbound connection into their property was ethernet, a configuration which had been forgotten about after ownership of the customer premises changed hands.

Rare, certainly, but not impossible. Also a pain to troubleshoot due to the rarity.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

Absense of proof does not constitute proof of absense.

It's a major feature of business to business services.

More:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.