Wireless reaching 1500ft outdoors

Has anyone had any experience connecting wireless points at this distance? I'm looking for recommendations on equipment and antenna.

Currently it is to connect 2 buildings, that are just shy of this 1500 foot mark. There actually is direct line of sight with no obstuctions (* at this time *).

Here's what I've looked at thus far, and I'm just thinking, so feel free to tell me how off I am!

Looking at DLinks website they have a number of wireless bridges, however only their outdoor bridge gives numbers of range and says it does 500 meters (1600+ ft) maximum. However the outdoor bridges cost $1,000+ a piece (too much for this project for one bridge). So I'm looking for something more indoors for the actual router placed by a window with a cable connected to an outdoor antenna! Am I nuts? Their indoor wireless bridges are more in the range of $150 bucks, and they have a wide variety of outdoor antennas in that $ range as well. I'm guessing the higher the dBi the further range?? And I'm probably looking at a directional antenna like maybe the ANT24-1800 18 dBi Directional Panel Antenna?

Ok, well if anyone can point me in the right direction, or has any experience in this, let me know!

Thanks, Student Alpha

Reply to
Student Alpha
Loading thread data ...

This gets asked regularly in this group. I've recommended Tranzeo equipment recently. It's outdoor type equipment and the AP can be found for under $300. The CPE (customer premise equip.) bridge can be had for well under $200. And they work reliably and for much further distances than 1,500 feet. No separate antenna to buy, they're integrated.

formatting link
?N1292579B

Reply to
Rôgêr

Roger,

I've seen a couple posts about Tranzeo and have looked at their website.. Only it's hard for me to figure our from their literature what distances any particular AP or bridge can do. Maybe I'm just missing it somewhere. Although I know LOS (line of sight) can effect distance quite a bit.

My other question, and maybe I just need to contact Tranzeo, is whether or not they can support PPTP connections. They mention TCP/IP and IPX but in order to initiate PPTP connection it has to be able to send GRE packets. If you know this information, I think it would be helpfiul. The only other downside I see to these Tranzeo is that most of them only support WEP and not WPA...

Pierre,

Thanks for the information.. Although with model or more detailed information (Antenna dbi, power output) it's hard to tell just which models will get me the 1500 without any problems.

Thanks again, Student Agent

Reply to
Student Alpha

A few years back I used a couple of Dlink inside bridges with a couple of their outdoor patch panels and were shooting about 600 metres quite reliably. The application was not internet related but rather extending an in-house network between two buildings. I cannot recall specific model numbers and cable lengths to the antennas were about 5 metres each with a line of sight being achieved over the rooftops (just) of intervening buildings. We actually dropped the bridge power levels to 25% to reduce range past our required target.

Peter

Reply to
Pierre

More than quite a bit. That's why they don't list distances. How can they guarantee a distance when they have no idea what kind of environment you're going to use them in?

This info was listed in the ad for the AP: Transmit Power: +28dBm EIRP Receiver Sensitivity: -92 dBm (1 Mbps) / -85 dBm (11 Mbps) @

Reply to
Rôgêr

Roger and Pierre,

Thanks for the info.. That really helps me out.. After looking at the

2, I think I'm going to go ahead with the Tranzeo's for now since they are an all outdoor equipment and can cover a mile without effort. I never know when they might decide to change layout plans!

Thanks again guys for your time, Student Alpha

Reply to
Student Alpha

The actual units used in our link were a pair of DWL-1000AP+ in bridge mode with ANT24-801 outdoor patch antennas. The DWL-1000AP+ has a rated power output of 50mw (17dBm) and the patch antennas are rated at 8.5dBi gain each. No doubt other antenna with higher gain such as the ANT24-1801 with 18 dBi gain would give quite a high margin to work with if necessary. The majority of commonly available WiFi devices are usually rated at 30mw which is only a dB or so down from the 50mw of the units we used. We did reduce the power levels considerably anyway.

It may be worthwhile to check antenna polarization when shooting over water or any longer distances. Sometimes it can make a difference but often this can only be found out at installation time and will vary from installation to installation.

Maybe the best thing to do would be using a couple of cheap adaptors with some good antennas in an Ad Hoc mode and go from there. Go to

formatting link
and its references for some practical ideas.

Pierre

Reply to
Pierre

Reply to
safe-male

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.