Wireless Range

I have a Linksys WRT54G connected to my cable modem in a back office. I also have wired ports in several rooms. The problem is that the signal is too week from this spot. I would like to put the WRT54G in my wife's office in the middle of the house for better coverage. Should a just use a hub in my office and then connect all the LAN computers? Then use the WRT54G to connect her wired PC in her office and then have much better coverage. Will I be setting myself up for security problems by using a hub and not a router for the wired connections? Any ideas? Thanks in advance! J.

Reply to
J
Loading thread data ...

Why not just plug a second WRT54G in to the wired network (wan input - same ssid), you don't need the router part, but considering the price difference is minimal, why not have two of the same for backup?

Reply to
Peter Pan

Thanks for the great advice. So, if I do add another Linksys I plug my cable at here computer into the WAN port and not the number 1 port? Also, do I need to change the I.P. address in the second one to .2 from .1??? Thanks for your help J.

Reply to
J

I went from the router output on #1 to the wan input on #2 (and #3 and now #4).....

IP address depends on the number of users (I left it at 50, so my starting addresses are x.x.x.1 .51 .101 .151), or you could just change the third number in the octet (instead of the last).... (I had one specific application ((very rare)) that required the first three to always be the same, only the 4th could change...)

Changing the last number (of the four) the way you posted makes one trample on another.. IE if you have fifty users x.x.x.1 to x.x.x.50 are in use by the first wap/router.... .2 would trample on the .2 in the address range.

For those lurking, you can also do it with powerline networking (netgear has

54/85/and now 200 Mbps models).

Last I looked however, you can simply get a second WRT54G (not the GS) at walmart for about $49 (GS models are about $72)... Way cheaper to just do it for about $50, plus you have an exact duplicate of your first wap/router for debugging/something dying...

J wrote:

Reply to
Peter Pan

How about using my hub and the WAP54G access point? Or, am I better off using the same Linksys units? Take care, J.

Reply to
J

My reading of your post was that you already have a wired/wireless combo installed, my suggestion was just to get a 2nd wap/router (they are cheap, got a local walmart? they sell em there) and put it anywhere where there is already a hardwire (same ssid, change the start IP address to suit your needs, just plug into the wan input port on the second etc wap/router)... Your wife is wired right? So a second wrt54g wap/router in her office (hardwire to wan in, router output to her computer.. change the ssid, start ip address to say 192.168.2.1 ((add security if desired)), (change channel too if you want seemless roaming on a laptop or pda as you walk around), few minutes and you are done)

Not quite sure why you want to overcomplicate things with other waps/hubs/etc... Why not just get a 2nd of what you already have and plug it in anywhere where you already have wired?

J wrote:

Reply to
Peter Pan

Wow, thanks so much for you input. Yep, that is what I'm going to do. I'll keep you posted on the results... J.

Reply to
J

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.