Wireless Protocol Analyzer

I am currently in the need of a wireless protocol analyzer for my wireless business. I have tried Commview at about $495, Linkferret at about $295 and Airopeek SE at $995. Airopeek SE so far is the best of the 3 but the cost is a tad bit more than I wanted to pay. Although if I buy one of the others and then later want to get Airopeek, I will have put out more money. I am looking for justification to go ahead and spend the extra bucks up front. Any suggestions? Any I havent tried that you know of? For $295 Linkferret is a great buy for just the guts, but airopeek seems to save you time with all its options. I had some problems with commview drivers so I am not sure if I will consider it.

Reply to
Airhead
Loading thread data ...

Have you thought about using the Auditor distribution of Linux?

Reply to
Osiris

You may wanna read this article:

formatting link
pages) on wireless sniffers. Also, for a list of tools, see:
formatting link
(2 pages).

Have you looked at Linux sniffers? The problem with Windoze sniffers is that the standard drivers do not offer the required promiscuous mode necessary for sniffing. There are ways of finding such drivers, but I don't wanna go there now. Anyway, the Linux drivers all have promiscuous mode and therefore the common sniffer and protocol analyzers like Ethereal will work.

formatting link
See:
formatting link
's a rather large download, but worth it. You create a bootable CDROM, with all the necessary wireless tools and drivers included. That's what I use. Save you money and buy a cheapo laptop to run it.

Knoppix-STD is another bootable Linux distribution crammed full of network and wireless tools:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

justification

consider it.

Thanks for the articles.

sniffers

drivers,

I have ethereal installed on a windows machine, but like you say I need a promiscuous driver for it.

Gee, theres a lot of stuff there. Im downloading and going to try it out. Like you said rather large.

This looks like a good one to try also.

Thanks Jeff

Reply to
Airhead

Jeff, thanks for the auditor turn on.....it is awesome

airhead james

Reply to
Airhead

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.