wireless privacy

If you connect to an open network is there anyway that they could know who you are besides from your Mac address? Is there anyway to change hide the address/hide your identity?

Reply to
gosser12
Loading thread data ...

Depends on who "they" are. The ISP you connect to will be able to log your MAC, IP and connection route. Anyone who is on the same network as you could run nmap, determine your OS and possibly determine if you have any holes in your firewall. If you have public passwordless shares on your PC, someone could connect and browse the shares, potentially finding pictures, letters, etc etc.

But all of this can be done irrespective of whether you're connecting via (open) wireless or a network cable. If you're using an unencrypted wireless channel then in addition to all that someone sitting nearby could sniff all your traffic and with some skill and the right tools, they could capture passwords, account names etc etc.

This is practically a FAQ. Use wireless encryption, only connect to SSL-protected websites and if you're super-bothered set up a VPN.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Yep, but I'm not telling. Search Google for "anonymous web surfing". You should get quite a few links for systems designed to hide your probably illegal activities. They usually have good explanations of how they work, what's needed, stupid things you can do to get caught, and a general overview of what's involved. Mostly proxies and VPN's.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I was mainly thinking in terms of personally identifiable info sent by the computer itself. ie don't care about hiding websites visited or using passwords but for example if someone used bittorrent to download the latest shania twain album over an open network. Would BMG be able to find the person? I can't think of a way besides Mac addresses but is there any other?

Reply to
gosser12

but for example if someone used bittorrent to download the latest shania twain album over an open network. Would BMG be able to find the person? I can't think of a way besides Mac addresses but is there any other?

ahhh - the real question - well... has nothing to do with WiFi, but really applies to any connection method; WiFi, Cable, DSL, Dial

SO - you connect - download some iffy content, and want to know if it is traceable ?

It would be harder to trace via any open/public connection, like at the library, hotspot, etc - As they could catch the IP but then map it to what ????

With your "subscribed" ISP, or work, or school - there of course would be a logged IP trail, that could be used to map back to your specific account & connection.

Reply to
ps56k

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.