Wireless Printing

I own a Canon Pixma MP500 network UNready all-in-one printer. I have a wireless network with a single computer as the only networked device. This saves me running a long cable from my cable modem upstairs to my PC downstairs. I currently connect my printer and PC via USB.

Now I suddenly want to relocate my PC and printer to different places! I will never need to print without the PC being switched on.

Is there any way to print wirelessly?

Most Wireless Print Servers say they are only compatible with Network- Ready printers.

Any ideas?

Reply to
duncan.perrett
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@elekta.com hath wroth:

Well, you could buy a different printer with built in 802.11 wireless for probably less than what a USB print server is going to cost you. You certainly will have fewer hassles and problems with a printer that has integrated wireless, than one that's added. Most USB print servers will sorta function for printing, but won't do scanning or fax. They also have problems returning status information to the computer. For example, the generally compatible Dlink DPR-1260 only supports a minimal number of printers for *BOTH* printing and scanning.

The list of "printing only" printers is somewhat larger:

Your Pixma MP500 is NOT on either list. Oh well.

Bottom line, buy a new printer with wireless.

There are also various wireless USB devices that can be used as a USB extension cable, but they tend to be more expensive than a new printer.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks Jeff. I know you said I could probably buy a new network ready printer for less than any usb devices but I thought I'd have a look around anyway ; ) For an All-in-One printer, I'd need a so called USB Server rather than a Print Server otherwise I'd be limited to using the All-in-One as a printer only!

I have two options here. Either get a wireless device or sit the printer next to my wireless router.

I can only find two contenders :- Silex Technology and Keyspan

formatting link
formatting link
They seem cheaper than a brand new network ready All-in-One such as a Canon Pixma MP600R or MP800R. (My only worry is compatibility with my Belkin 'pre-N' network).

Cheers.

Reply to
duncan.perrett

snipped-for-privacy@elekta.com hath wroth:

Correct. That would be essentially a wireless extension cord for USB devices. The "USB device server" is a wireless USB hub.

There's another possibility but it's even more expensive. Buy a different all-in-one printer/scanner/fax conglomeration that supports ethernet. Then, plug in a wireless client bridge radio into the ethernet port.

This one is specifically designed for printers and is cheaper:

The USB print servers vary from $80 to $175 street price. The MP800R is about $380.

That's not a problem. The big issue might be the USB port emulation software or device management application that has to run on the PC or Mac in order to communicate with your new "USB device server". Read the Keyspan user docs at:

I haven't tried it so I have no clue if there are complications.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.