wireless printer question

My wife wants to know if she can use her laptop and be able to print wireless. The laptop is connected into the wireless router. She wants to use a different printer specifically with one program on her laptop.

Several companies make USB wireless printer adapters. Ambicom make a wireless printer kit. One unit (looks similar to a USB thumb drive) connects to the printer USB port (small square connector). The other unit looks like a USB thumb drive and I think would connect to a USB port on her laptop.

Has anyone used this or a similar device(s)? Am I correct in how I think they would be setup?

Any help would be appreciated,

Terry snipped-for-privacy@charter.net

Reply to
Terry Brown
Loading thread data ...

Think of it this way as my previous explaination wasn't too clear.

She wants to use her laptop and have a wireless printer dedicated to her laptop. When she wants to print something it will be printed by the dedicated wireless printer. It will be totally seperate from the household network. (She uses her laptop with a dress pattern program and she wants to use a printer whose ink cartiages are a bit cheaper than the newer, better printer we currently have on the network here in the house)

I thought the Ambicom WP Kit found at:

formatting link
would do the trick. One adapter into her laptop USB plug and the other in the printers port. That way she could select this printer as her default printer. When she printed anything it would go directly to the wireless printer.

As far as any other information, the printer is a Lexmark

515 and the laptop is running XP Home. Anything else?

Thanks for the reply and help,

Reply to
Terry Brown

You need to provide more information on your setup. Is the printer she wants to reach already installed on your network? How? To another PC, or to some other device?

John Jones, Detroit

Reply to
John Jones

Taking a moment's reflection, Terry Brown mused: | |

formatting link
For less money you could probably find a simple network printer device to plug into your router, and then plug the printer into it. That way everyone on the network could access the printer if needed.

Reply to
mhicaoidh

For example ...

formatting link

Reply to
mhicaoidh

I assume you have another printer connected to a computer that's wired to the router. You could connect a second printer to that same computer, share it, and add it to the laptop as a network printer. It could be set as her default printer. Only drawback is that the wired computer needs to be on for her to access "her" printer. Other wise you could buy a print server that connects to the router directly and "her" printer would be plugged into the print server.

Reply to
Alan White

Some printers have built in wifi print server, few HP's for sure. Some routers have USB printer port, e.g. Draytek Vigor 2600G. Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

Since you already have a wireless router installed, why not simply use a wireless print server that is compatible with the printer she wants to use? No need to buy anything additional for her laptop, since it already has some kind of wireless "NIC" to talk to your router.

John Jones, Detroit

Reply to
John Jones

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.