Wireless Print Server Problems--Jeff are you there?

The Ethernet port on my OfficeJet flaked out, so I decided to use a D-Link DP-G321 Print Server that I had, which worked the last time I used it.

I set up the print server with a local IP address of 192.168.0.10. This is also the IP address used when setting up the TCP/IP printer ports.

---------------------------------------- Server Name : PS-5C6FDC Model : DP-G321 IP Address : 192.168.0.10 (Manual)

The print server sees my wireless network just fine during setup when it scans for available networks, and the SSID and key are correct.

One of the printers is set up as follows:

Port Name: IP_192.168.0.10 Printer Name or IP Address: 192.168.0.10 LPR Settings Queue Name: PS-5C6FDC-P3 (which is what is specified by the print server instructions).

One of the printers is set up as follows:

Port Name: IP_192.168.0.10 Printer Name or IP Address: 192.168.0.10 LPR Settings Queue Name: PS-5C6FDC-U1 (which is what is specified by the print server instructions).

The printers work fine as long as I'm hard wired in to the print server, but I can't print wirelessly. If I try to print wirelessly, though as soon as I plug the print server back in via wired Ethernet the jobs print from the queue.

I wasn't sure if I had to be within the IP Address range of the router, so I also tried using 192.168.0.110 as the print server address (and the port address for the TCP/IP printer ports), but that didn't work either.

-------------------------------------- The Router is set as follows:

Local IP Address 192.168.1.1 DHCP Server Enabled Start IP Address 192.168.1.100 IP Address Range: 192 .168 .1 .100~149

----------------------------------------

Subnet Mask is always 255.255.255.0

Anyway, any ideas are appreciated.

Reply to
SMS
Loading thread data ...

SMS hath wroth:

Rev A, Rev B, or Rev C? Updated firmware?

Are you using the parallel port or the USB port? I'm sure the port name is correct because you can print to it via wired. I just want to keep the details straight.

What computahs are you using for testing? Windoze, Linux, or Mac? LPR/LPD is really weird on Windoze 95/98/ME, fair on W2K, and actually workable on XP. The Rev A version requires admin software to work.

Sure, but can you ping the print server from the network? If you can ping, can you also get to the internal web server (if there is one) on the print server? Basically, check connectivity before blundering onward.

Extra credit. Telnet to port 515 (LPR/LPD) and see if you can get a connection via wired and wireless. Compare error messages. They should be the same. If it says "connection refused" it's probably something in the print server configuration. If it says "unable to connect" it's some kind of firewall or connectivity issue.

One? One printer is some kind of OfficeJet. What's the other? (Hint: Don't hide the details).

OK, that's the correct parallel port name.

OK, that's the correct USB port name.

Some of these wireless print servers seem to have a problem switching between ethernet and wireless. The one's in the original HP injet printers with the built in wireless were really horrid. They would keep trying to reconnect on the old interface for something like 5 minutes, before giving up and switching to the other interface. Power cycle the print server when switching interfaces and see if that helps.

Well, check the connectivity to make sure you have an IP route from your computah to the print server. If you're going back and forth, it might be confusing the print server, router, computer, or all the above.

So why are you setting up the print server on a different IP block? The router is at 192.168.1.xxx, while the print server is at

192.168.0.xxx. Unless you setup the netmask to 255.255.0.0 on literally everything in the system, this isn't going to work. Just to make life miserable, there are a considerable number of devices that can be set to 255.255.0.0. that just don't work. Some magically reset themselves to 255.255.255.0 when power cycled.

Can't work. See above.

That which is most obviously correct, beyond any need of checking, is the problem. Check your assumptions.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.