Wireless Performance Paradox on Thinkpad T42p

Hi All:

I would like to run something by the people here. I own a IBM Thinkpad T42p. I have installed a wireless router in my parents home for when I visit (Netgear WGT624 802.11g). When I use my T42p to go to a back room of the house, I get unstable signal strength (anywhere from 7% to 100% - but usually somewhere in between). The adapter speed is usually between only 2-6 Mbps at this location. When I try to access the internet (via browser), I get the typical response for no internet access. (When I test for internet access with the Acess Connections tool, it likewise says no internet access.) OK, so it's out of range - or so I think. What's strange is that I can use XP remote desktop to log on easily to my desktop computer directly wired to the router with good performance. Then, of course, I can access the internet through my remote desktop terminal display on my T42p at this remote location.

Can someone help me with this technically? Why can I access my desktop computer on the LAN at this distance (via router) and yet not access the internet? It seems that if I can route internally to another computer and connect via Remote Desktop terminal services that I should just as well be able to connect externally to the Internet. Is there a setting or something on the Thinkpad I'm not aware of?

By the way, as soon as I leave the room and get a bit closer to the router so the signal strength and adapter speed jump up a bit, I can access the internet. And, of course, the wireless internet performance of the T42p when in the same room as the router is excellent.

Thanks in advance for your help.

PS. I have all the latest wireless drivers from Lenovo.

Reply to
Sid Joyner
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.