Wireless Peer to Peer help

Hi all,

I am trying to setup a wireless peer to peer network between a Windows XP computer and a Windows XP laptop. I am using a belkin wireless desktop pci card and a belkin usb networking adapter on the laptop.

The laptop seems to get a good signal on the computer, but the computer refuses to see anything at all! I have tried the tutorial on belkins website but it is very limited, can anyone help or know of any better tutorials or software that might help me?

I am assuming once the network is established I will be able to share files and the Internet which is directly connected to the computer?

Thanks!

Andy.

Reply to
andy
Loading thread data ...

Is File and Printer Sharing enabled? Both in same workgroup? Guest account enabled?

You will probably have to set up ICS to share the Internet connection (just get a wifi router, like $40).

Reply to
Joseph Stewart

Hi Joseph, thanks for the reply.

File and Printer Sharing is enabled on both computers and on the same workground, guest accounts are enabled by default on Windows XP?

I will setup ICS to use the adsl modem connected via the main computers usb, so I wouldn't need a router? so long as the main computer is turned on, the laptop would be able to access the Internet?

At the moment I'm just trying to get the computers to see each other, even a ping would be a good start! which computer assigns the IP addresses? both computers appear to be using 0.0.0.0 - does DHCP need to be enabled to either/both/neither?

Thanks.

Reply to
andy

Have a look at these

formatting link
formatting link
(just modify this one for your usb modem and wireless cards)

Reply to
Rob

I have followed the instructions step-by-step and am still having problems.

I have had brief connetions and have been able to surf the Internet on the laptop for a while, but then the computer loses connection, and the laptop still shows it as active!?

Also on the wireless connection properties the "Wireless Networks" tab disappears regularly! It's there when I first put the usb network adapter in the laptop, but after a few seconds it's gone!

I have tried reinstalling drivers and have gone over network settings a few times.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Reply to
andy

Check to see if your wireless cards are in "Power Save" mode and if they are turn it off. Rt click on your wireless network connection in Network connections. configure>advance tab TRY Power save mode>Constantly awake and Auto-reconnect is enabled

Reply to
Rob

Should read:- Rt click on your wireless network connection in Network connections properties>configure>advance tab TRY Power save mode>Constantly awake and Auto-reconnect is enabled

Reply to
Rob

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.