Wireless PC Config

I have a question regarding the config of wireless PC - both Linux and Windows. My home network looks a little like this:

Internet | Cable modem | Wired Router | \\ \\ \\-- Webserver for mydomain.tld | \\ \\----- Wired PC | \\-------- Wired PC | Wireless Router z z z Wireless Windows PC Wireless Linux PC

The webserver (a Linux box) runs a website - mydomain.tld - that is accessible from outside (via dynamic DNS) and internally (via static

192.168. entries in the host files). This works fine for the wired PCs

- as they never leave the house - but it's not the ideal solution for the Wireless PCs.

The problem with the Wireless PCs is that when they are attached to a foreign wireless network the webserver for mydomain.tld is no longer accessible at the 192.162 address configured in the host file. It's then necessary to comment out the entry in the host file before mydomain.tld can be accessed via the internet.

So what's the right solution for this? How should I configure wireless Windows and Linux PCs to use a different address for mydomain.tld when connected on different wireless networks.

All/any advice appreciated.

Reply to
Ralph B
Loading thread data ...

OK, nevermind, it was a config problem with the wired router. After some googling I found the solution - to turn on NAT loopback. After this the local server can be reached internally and externally using the same external ip address. No need to mess with host files (which is a disaster if you are trying to use a wireless PC!)

Anyhow I'll include the instructions here in case it can be useful for anyone else.

Connect to the router with telnet (the web interface doesn't include this config item) and find the CLI - menu 24.8.

type "ip nat loopback on"

This will turn NAT loopback on but if you reboot the setting will go back to default ie off.

To make the router keep the setting telnet to the CLI - menu 24 , 8

type "sys edit autoexec.net" press "i", then type "ip nat loopback on" press "x" to save the configuration.

(Credits to

formatting link
and
formatting link

Reply to
Ralph B

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.