wireless paths crossing

Hi,

I am installing some antennas on a couple of hangars 300 feet apart. As suggested by several people, I went up on the roof and checked to lans with netstumbler. I saw a few, but the signals were low. However, one thing that concerned me was that I noticed 4 hangars down a parabolic antenna pointing to another parabolic antenna about 1/4 mile away. I check and these antennas are for another WiFi (2.4 Ghz) net. The worse thing is that the 2 hangars I am connecting will result in an "X" being formed between my

2 antennas and their 2 antennas, as shown below.

Their Ant A My Antenna A / / / / / / / My Antenna B Their Antenna B

Will this prevent my connection from working?

Thanks,

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Kurata
Loading thread data ...

No, not if you do it half way responsibly. Choose the channel farthest away from them. In fact, if they are using 6 ask them if they'd mind to choose either 1 or 11 and you'll take the other so there would be as little chance of interference as possible. You can also go to horizontal polarization if they are on vertical to further reduce interference.

Reply to
Rôgêr

It should be no problem at all if:

1. They are on a different channel or frequency.
  2. You also use parabolic dish antennas to minimize side lobes.
  3. There are no reflections for nearby buildings. Think billiards.

Crossing paths does not "mix" the signals in mid air, so there's no interaction. The narrow beamwidth of the dish antennas will keep the radios from seeing each other. Putting them on different non-overlapping channels (1,6,11) will prevent interference even if the antennas do see each other. Reflections from building can screw up the works.

At 300ft, it's more likely that you'll have an overwhelmingly good RF signal level and therefore will not be very susceptible to interference. I can't say the same for the other user, who may receive more interference from you than they create due to the differences in range. One thing for sure... you're committed to using directional antennas (panel, patch, or dish) to avoid interference.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

: Will this prevent my connection from working?

Simply - it's gonna be working. But don't forget to set a different channel.

m.

Reply to
Marcin £ukasik

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.