wireless over a long distance 500 - 1000 m

Hi all,

Is it possible to connect 2 PCs over a 500 - 1000 m wireless connection? I have a friend living nearby and want to connect to his PC. Do we need special hardware or will antenna's do?

Best regards Stijn

Reply to
Tarscher
Loading thread data ...

I had a short-term link over 1000m with a Netgear PCI card w/ a 14dBi antenna connecting to a Netgear Router with the standard stubby antenna. It was just a proof of concept, but I was getting a 2Mbps connection. You should be able to get decent connections over that distance with good directional antennas and stock routers and clients, provided you have clear line of sight and can get the antennas high enough.

Reply to
Derek Broughton

You will need a couple of decent antenna enhancements. Look here:

formatting link

Reply to
Oz

With 802.11 consumer gear? Assuming you have Line of Sight, I should think so. You will need to do a link analysis to be sure...

This is one of many sites with calculators...

formatting link

Reply to
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

Thanks for the answers. I must say though that I don't have line of sight. The path is blocked by several buildings and trees. I guess this makes it much harder?

regards Stijn

Reply to
Tarscher

Not just harder, likely not to work at all.

Reply to
David Taylor

Impossible, unless you look into using an AP set to operate as a repeater. Think of a triangle, with the repeater at the apex. The repeater only needs power, so if you can talk someone into letting you install the repeater, you may get around the obstacles that way.

BTW - repeaters work by trading bandwidth for range, so using multiple repeaters is generally not a good idea.

Reply to
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.