wireless on the network bridge problem

I have a problem with wireless over the network bridge. Story goes here... There are 2 laptops (Win XP pro) I want to connect with LAN patch cable in two different rooms... One laptop I need for wireless connection to the ADSL router. And of couse, I want to share internet connection to other. The other laptop cannot access wireles, because it's to far. Also wireless is the only way to connect to ADSL router. So, this laptop connects to the wireless fine, everything is working ok. But when I create network bridge on that laptop with LAN and wireless network included, it goes bad... Everything is connected fine, says at network connections, but no internet now. IP adress of an bridge is 169.254.x.x. Other computer (network adapter) also has IP adress of that type. But it shoul be 192.168.2.x, according to Simens SE555 ADSL router. And of course, internet is not founctional on both computers... I also tried to manually assing IP of 192.168.2.x type to both computers, but no help still. If I use some tool for searching IP on the LAN, it sees these two computers, even there should be more connected to the ADSL router (I see them when wireless is out from bridge).

Am I missing somethning there? is there something more to configure? wireless is unsecured network of open type with disabled authentification. LAN between computers also doesn't requires authentification... LAN is broadcom netExtreme, and wireless is Intel on both.

So if there is some good soul to help, please, i'm deperate... Thanx!

Ivan

Reply to
ivan.delic
Loading thread data ...

First, right-click and delete the Network Bridge. Then verify that the laptop with the wireless network connection can connect to the ADSL router and access the Internet.

After that's working, here are two possible solutions:

1. Re-create the Network Bridge. If things still don't work, follow the steps shown here:

Bridge May Not Work With a Non-Promiscuous Mode Network Adapter

formatting link
or:

1. Forget the Network Bridge, and enable Internet Connection Sharing on the wireless network connection. If it asks what to use for the home network connection, tell it to use the LAN connection to the other computer.
Reply to
Steve Winograd [MVP]

Is this what you want?

ADSL Wireless Router IP address 192.168.2.xxx

Wirelessly to

Laptop 1

Wired to

Laptop 2

If that's what you have I would suggest deleting the bridge. Instead share the wireless connection (ICS) on laptop 1 with laptop two. Wireless bridging often just doesn't work, do to drivers limiting what is passed to the computer.

Reply to
David Hettel

ICS worked...

thnx guys!

Reply to
ivan.delic

Your welcome!

Reply to
David Hettel

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.