wireless on the boat

Hi members,

Can anyone give me info on what to use on my boat to recieve wireless hotspots. In my country The Netherlands we have a lot of canals that go trough towns and citys. When we stop at the end of the day I allways try to find hotspots . With my PCMCIA card I some times get a connection. What i'm looking is a PCMCIA card with a external antenna connection that can recieve from long distances( about 1 mile). What antenna will be for me the best that goes with the card. Cable length is about 3 metres from card to antenna. The antenna will be mounted in the mast of the boat. Availble length of the antenna can be about 1 metre.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
Snorkel
Loading thread data ...

Keep in mind the vertical beam width of the antenna if the vessel is prone to heel or be rocked by waves.

Reply to
NotMe

For that reason, mobile antennas are a low gain (wide vertical beamwidth) antenna).

Reply to
DTC

You may want to think about a plan B... I tried that on my boat, but when moving (even slowly), if I wasn't rocking and rolling from waves/wakes, I was only in the range of hotspots for a few minutes... Finally bit the bullet and got a tether for my cell phone, quite a bit slower, but a lot more reliable, and I had the cellphone already, and the cell signal was usually pretty good on inland waterways. Best part was that could not only use it for short times during the day, but at night, when docked/anchored, I had time to putz with it, and that's when free minutes kicked in (after 9pm) PS, in case you were wondering, tether cable ran me about $10..... When docked at a marina that had free WiFi, I just used that (WiFi) instead (no reason you can't have both, my laptop had builtin WiFi, and just use one at a time)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.