Wireless not working

I've just got a new Toshiba Portege m200 laptop to replace my old Portege

With my old lappie, I connected to 3 different wireless networks at work and at home. I have a problem with the new lappie in that it connected to one of the networks straight out of the box (after typing the WEP key) but it won't connect to the other 2.

The main difference that I can see is that the new lappie has an 802.11g wifi card whereas the old lappie was 802.11b. The connection that is working is to a new 802.11g integrated wireless/router/modem.

The other two wireless connections are via wireless access points. One connects to broadband via a router/modem and the other via a pc with internet connection sharing enabled. Both of these connections work with the old lappie. At least one of the connections works if I connect via a wired conection.

The lappie appears to connect to the other 2 networks - it says that it's connected to network xxx and that the signal strength is very good but I get a page not found message when i try to access websites with Firefox. I've checked that the mac address is enabled and that the wep keys are correctly entered so it's not a problem there.

I have an alternative setup entered on the tcp/ip properties for the wireless card using ip addy 192.168.0.34 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 default gateway is blank preferred dns server 217.32.105.90 and alternate dns server

217.32.106.91 Preferred and alternate wins servers are blank. I believe these dns addys are BT dns servers.

I think I have all properties for the new wireless connection the same as for the old one.

It is very frustrating carrying round 2 lappies, can anyone help me to solve this problem please.

TIA

Neil

Reply to
Neil
Loading thread data ...

You are evidently using a static IP address.Since you say this is an alternative one I presume your main one has the gateway address of your new wireless/router/modem in it's config? Are all of the Gateway addresses you are trying to access the same? The ICS one will be 192.168.0.1. Have you tried using DHCP? Do the 3 networks have different WEP keys and have you configured you network settings for this?

I would double check.

Reply to
Bob II

Bob

I've been trying lots of different combinations according to which AP I'm trying to connect through at the time. Tonight I've been trying to connect via an SMC wireless AP and an ETEC router/modem. The main area I've looked at is TCP/IP properties for the wireless card in the laptop.

In the general tab, I've left things as "Obtain an IP address automatically" - this works on the old laptop but not the new one. So, I've entered details on the "Alternate Configuration" tab. I've given a static IP address (192.168.0.32), subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and I've entered the gateway IP addy of my router (10.0.0.2). I've also entered 217.32.105.90 qnd

91 for DNS servers. This apparently lets me connect with an excellent connection but I still can't access anything n the Internet.

As far as I can see, all settings on the new lappie are the same as on the old lappie. I'm sure that I've got WEP keys and MAC filters set up correctly. My gut feeling is that it's down to something to do with a newer wifi card on the new lappie but I don't know what.

I'm getting very fed up with this. I've done lots of this type of connection in the past and never had problems like this.

Neil

Reply to
Neil

8> In the general tab, I've left things as "Obtain an IP address
8>Run->cmd netsh int ip reset c:\\resetlog.txt
formatting link
If this doesn't work try checking your "Winsock2"
formatting link
Bob
Reply to
Bob II

Ignore my last,i.e. the one at 10:51 , as I am guilty of not reading what you wrote.

Bob

Reply to
Bob II

Which unit provides your DHCP addresses?If it is router(10.0.0.2) then check it's DHCP allocation as 192.158.0.32 is not on the same subnet and will not work.What happens if you use 10.0.0.200 as your Static IP in the "Alternative Config"? The DHCP on your wireless card should have connected before trying the Static IP, I have just tried this several times and on each occasion the DHCP has connected and not used the Static IP.The Static IP only worked when I disabled DHCP on the router.

I've also entered 217.32.105.90 qnd

What happens without encryption and mac filtering, new wireless new MAC address to include in your WAP Filters.

My gut feeling is that it's down to something to do with a newer

Reply to
Bob II

The access point seems to be providing the DHCP addresses. However, if I disable DHCP in the access point, it is allocated via the router. However, I still can not connect to the Internet.

I've disabled mac filtering and encryption for the time being to check that this isn't causing my problems. It hasn't helped.

I've also tried disabling the on-board wifi card and plugged in an older

802.11b pcmcia wireless card. I felt sure I'd be able to connect with this, but haven't been able to. I'm not sure what this signifies though except that it's not just a problem caused by the 802.11g on-board wireless.

I've also downloaded the latest drivers for the on-board wi-fi card. No difference.

Reply to
Neil

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.