wireless newbie

Hi all. I'm trying to get rid of my old old desktop PC. I want to use my new laptop (Dell inspirion 8600 running XP pro) in the dining room, with all my peripherals in a closet. I will eventually do wireless internet as well, but have to content with dial up for now. (easy access in the dining room)

I currently have a scanner inline with a printer (parallel port only) a photo printer (usb port)

This is the list of equipment I think I need.... wireless laptop (got it) parallel to ubs cable for the on printer usb cable for the other printer wireless print server with 2 usb ports. wireless router for internet access cable or dsl modem.

Does this sound right? Is there a more cost effective configuration?

Thanks for any and all help

jojo

Reply to
jojo
Loading thread data ...

You mentioned that you have DialUp at the moment.

If you want to do every thing that you mentioned with a dialup you would need a Cable/DSL Router that has a serial port, and an External DialUp Modem.

Log to this page and look at option 3:

formatting link
Jack (MVP-Networking).

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Not sure I understand why....my laptop comes with a 10/100 network and modem card. I assumes I could just create a dial-up and plug in... no?? Thanks, jojo

Reply to
jojo

With DSL/Cable all you have to do is go directly from the DSL/Cable modem to a Wireless Access Point(AP). From there you can access the internet though Ethernet by plugging into the AP or you can access the internet through a wireless connection to the AP.

Reply to
Jeff Baziuk [MSFT

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.